Premed 101 Forums

Anesthesiology elective: 1 week vs 2 weeks?

23 minutes ago, Stars2020 said:

If wanting to explore the field of Anesthesiology, would you recommend doing 1 or 2 weeks elective as a start? Thanks for sharing.

I would suggest a minimum of two weeks - after two weeks, you'll hopefully start to understand basic concepts, work flow and have some limited procedural exposure.  I don't think one week would be very high yield unless you were looking to rule out an interest in anesthesiology - after 1 week you'd probably have an idea if it was something you had no interest in.  

19 hours ago, indefatigable said:

I would suggest a minimum of two weeks - after two weeks, you'll hopefully start to understand basic concepts, work flow and have some limited procedural exposure.  I don't think one week would be very high yield unless you were looking to rule out an interest in anesthesiology - after 1 week you'd probably have an idea if it was something you had no interest in.  

Agree 1 week prob enough to know if you hate it, but need 2 weeks or more to know if you might like it.