Premed 101 Forums

The GPA deal, I still don't really get it.

Guest TheShrink

Guest TheShrink

How does UofO meds calculate your gpa? My friend said that he got a 8.5 first year and that will become a 3.9 in med school terms for his first year? That doesn't make sense b/c then EVERYONE would have high gpas going into meds from Ottawa U. I know a lot of people with 87s,88s how can these people all be getting 3.96s etc? A 3.9/4 is 97.6ish percent? MAHHHH I don't get it at all, does anyone understand b/c clearly I'm an idoit.

How does 8.5=3.9?

Hi,

There are several "ways" in which UofO calculates GPA to determine whether a student will be given an interview. I don't think that all of these ways are dependent on your GPA. What I mean is, UofO will also look at geographical location, and whether you are Francophone/Anglophone, etc., whether you are applying through the military program, and whether you did a Master's degree before applying to medical school.

Having said that, most students are undregraduate students who speak English, and are applying to medical school after their third or fourth year. If this applies to you then you should look at the GPA conversion chart in the OMSAS booklet. I couldn't seem to find it when I went to the website, but when I applied it was there. This is especially the case if you are applying from a school like York University, where the GPA is out of 9, and not the standard 4.0. Then, depending on how many years of undergraduate studies you've completed, your GPA will be weighted in different ways. For example, if you are applying during your third year, then your GPA will be calculated as such:

3.60 X 1 = 3.60

3.99 X 2 = 7.98

7.98 + 3.60 / 3

= 3.83

If you are applying in your fourth year, then your third year marks will be weighted as well, and they will be given more emphasis. The rationale for this calculation method, I think, is because the university recognizes that your first year of undergrad comes with several challenges, and it's okay to have a slightly lower GPA. So, it's advantageous if you did better academically in your 2nd and 3rd years.

I hope that this helps. I also want to note that if you've done a Master's degree, there is less emphasis on GPA marks, and more on things like research productivity and your supervisor's evaluation of your research. Extra-curricular activities are also really important. They can, and will most likely come up during your interview.

Good luck,

EJL

• 2 weeks later...

Archived