Premed 101 Forums

IM residency programs?

Bud101

I'm a 3rd year medical student considering applying to internal medicine. I'm currently at UofT and have supports in the Toronto area as well as in Ottawa and Nova Scotia. Ideally I would do residency in one of those areas and/or close by (would likely rank out west lower). I was wondering how the different internal residency programs compare? I've heard that Queens and Ottawa have a much more supportive program, and have heard that McMaster is quite busy and you're given more responsibility earlier, but haven't heard much about other programs. If anyone has any insights about differences across the programs in terms of volume, call, and supports, it would be greatly appreciated! 

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of IM UofT, it is really amazing. The support system for residents is awesome. Staff and attending are very reasonable and understanding an atmosphere is friendly. You won’t get too much pressure at your early stage and no one expects you be perfect when you start.