Premed 101 Forums

Things they don't tell you about medicine - an honest review from an MS4

bruh

5 hours ago, JohnHopp said:

We studied the health benefits of marijuana in medical school. How's that? I ended up interning at one of the best companies in the business - https://wayofleaf.com/. And of course my knowledge helped me to get a job, it's very cool that nowadays they can study such topics especially if they are useful for the society

dat's one way to cope. Especially if combined in a brownie. 

in the end, medicine is a pretty good job. treat it like a job, not like religion. There aren't many jobs out there that consistently pay well these days.

last week there was a story in TorontoLife of a lawyer making 100K and basically spending it all living hand to mouth lol.

my cousins are making 60K out of undergrad, all live with parents. Zero chance they'll ever buy instead of rent. Heck they don't even wanna rent because then they'll have to pay their own internet, hydro, food lol

2 hours ago, shikimate said:

in the end, medicine is a pretty good job. treat it like a job, not like religion. There aren't many jobs out there that consistently pay well these days.

last week there was a story in TorontoLife of a lawyer making 100K and basically spending it all living hand to mouth lol.

my cousins are making 60K out of undergrad, all live with parents. Zero chance they'll ever buy instead of rent. Heck they don't even wanna rent because then they'll have to pay their own internet, hydro, food lol

I agree that the time commitment isn't as bad as some people make it seem. It takes a while for people to get started in their career for most people. People hit set backs and road blocks all the time. 

What's different about medicine though which is toxic in my opinion is the fact that you are expected to sacrifice yourself for your attendings and your patients, both of which are usually not thankful for anything you do for them. 

That's why I say treat it like a job, not religion. I sacrifice my time and effort to get paid by the government, not to be elected to some temple of worship 300 years later. Some attendings may think they'll be worshipped 300 years later but 99.999% of the time they'll just become atoms in fish poop or something 300 years later lol.