Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2024 Cycle

44 minutes ago, RPT2024 said:

Has anyone heard anything from McMaster OT or PT? Site says June 3rd but weird all Ontario schools wouldn't start sending them at the same time.

From my understanding, nothing for Mac PT has released, but that could just be my experience.

Can anyone else confirm or deny about the June 3rd date?

I'm starting to get nervous. Do you think if Queen's sent out offers today (not sure how many, just saw one person on the forum say they got off) does that mean they're done sending out offers? Or will more come throughout the next couple of days...

28 minutes ago, OTOT1234 said:

I'm starting to get nervous. Do you think if Queen's sent out offers today (not sure how many, just saw one person on the forum say they got off) does that mean they're done sending out offers? Or will more come throughout the next couple of days...

Wondering this too 😞

Hi all! I got off of the UofT waitlist yesterday and I wanted to say a big thank you to everyone on this forum and those who I reached out to who were so helpful and encouraging in their responses! 

Applied (OT): UofT, Western, McMaster

Accepted: UofT (off of the waitlist)
Waitlisted: Western, Mac
GPA: c-gpa 3.68-ish and s-gpa 3.85
CASPer Quartile: 3rd
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

Did super terrible at Mac Kira talent interview as I’m not so good on the spot. I feel this was the same reason for getting 3rd quartile on Casper as I didn’t feel I did so well on the video portion. To prep I watched a lot of YouTube videos, prepared different scenarios for any possible questions, and used about every free resource available. I also used prep match to practice.

I feel okay about my essays (because it was difficult for me to do😭). I definitely had a hard time writing them as it generally takes me a bunch of drafts to get somewhere I like, and I wanted to hit a lot of points but make it cohesive as well. For the UofT essay I included a personal motivator, made sure to include my experience volunteering with an OT (as well as other experiences), and tried to express why I would be a good OT (without saying those words exactly). I had an OT student look over this essay. I enjoyed my Western essay, as I am passionate about social justice. 

My academic reference was from a professor whose class I had just taken and participated a lot in. She told me she would be able to write me a strong reference. My professional references was a recreational therapist at a long term care home I volunteered at. I’m not sure about the strength of this one, as I did not spend a lot of time volunteering with her. I highly recommend two strong references, if you are able to!

This was my second time applying. I took extra courses to boost my gpa and took up various volunteer activities such as tutoring children, volunteering at a care home, with an autism charity group, and with an OT. My first time applying I mostly had some volunteer activities at my university. Try to connect non-OT activities with OT, or display your personal strengths through it. For example, if you were working a job, did you interact with a diverse population, display leadership, problem solving, etc. 

I am very grateful for this forum and everyone’s help! For those who are waiting, I hope you get in!! If not, please don’t lost hope or be discouraged to try again! 

20 hours ago, Dairyskydiver58 said:

From my understanding, nothing for Mac PT has released, but that could just be my experience.

Can anyone else confirm or deny about the June 3rd date?

I noticed on OT website for important dates it showed June 3rd for second round offers. Nothing for PT though. Just based on last years waitlist movement it looked like Mac PT and OT second round offers were released the same day, so safe to assume June 3 for PT as well? The wait is killing me! 

1 hour ago, ot2.0 said:

Hi all! I got off of the UofT waitlist yesterday and I wanted to say a big thank you to everyone on this forum and those who I reached out to who were so helpful and encouraging in their responses! 

Did super terrible at Mac Kira talent interview as I’m not so good on the spot. I feel this was the same reason for getting 3rd quartile on Casper as I didn’t feel I did so well on the video portion. To prep I watched a lot of YouTube videos, prepared different scenarios for any possible questions, and used about every free resource available. I also used prep match to practice.

I feel okay about my essays (because it was difficult for me to do😭). I definitely had a hard time writing them as it generally takes me a bunch of drafts to get somewhere I like, and I wanted to hit a lot of points but make it cohesive as well. For the UofT essay I included a personal motivator, made sure to include my experience volunteering with an OT (as well as other experiences), and tried to express why I would be a good OT (without saying those words exactly). I had an OT student look over this essay. I enjoyed my Western essay, as I am passionate about social justice. 

My academic reference was from a professor whose class I had just taken and participated a lot in. She told me she would be able to write me a strong reference. My professional references was a recreational therapist at a long term care home I volunteered at. I’m not sure about the strength of this one, as I did not spend a lot of time volunteering with her. I highly recommend two strong references, if you are able to!

This was my second time applying. I took extra courses to boost my gpa and took up various volunteer activities such as tutoring children, volunteering at a care home, with an autism charity group, and with an OT. My first time applying I mostly had some volunteer activities at my university. Try to connect non-OT activities with OT, or display your personal strengths through it. For example, if you were working a job, did you interact with a diverse population, display leadership, problem solving, etc. 

I am very grateful for this forum and everyone’s help! For those who are waiting, I hope you get in!! If not, please don’t lost hope or be discouraged to try again! 

Congrats on your acceptance!! 
see you in the fall! (If at St. George!) 

Just received my acceptance from Dalhousie PT!!! In province, off the waitlist.

For any mature students looking for hope, this was my first time applying. I have a sub-GPA of 3.74 and 3rd quartile CASPER. I have a Fine Arts degree, so I had to take all of the prerequisites through Athabasca while working full time. I made sure to ace those (all As). I think however my references, volunteer hours and written responses are what set me apart, having already had a professional career. Especially for mature students, if your GPA is mediocre, focus on your strengths. The application process is more holistic then it may appear.

Hi,

I don’t know if this helps anyone but I was told there was 136 applicants on the Western OT waitlist in total and that each third had basically an even number of applicants. 
Lastly, I was told in a different email that in previous years they have made offers to applicants in the middle section of the waitlist because sometimes applicants higher up accept other offers before receiving an offer from them.

Hopes this gives someone a little hope!

On 5/30/2024 at 10:06 AM, saddleup09 said:

Has anyone seen any UBC PT waitlist movement?! The stress is real 😫

i haven’t heard anything yet either. i know that ubc is super slow but past years have always heard back at the end of may for the waitlist so im surprised nobody has heard back yet as far as i can tell. hopefully we hear back next week!!

13 hours ago, UBCMPT said:

i haven’t heard anything yet either. i know that ubc is super slow but past years have always heard back at the end of may for the waitlist so im surprised nobody has heard back yet as far as i can tell. hopefully we hear back next week!!

Yeah that’s what I was thinking! Fingers crossed for next week!

4 hours ago, OThope21 said:

I got accepted into UofA OT off the waitlist on Friday! Also I am a Saskatchewan resident. 

Congratulations!!! 

So obviously they've started going through the waitlist! I wonder if they do Saskatchewan first? 

I'm really hoping I hear something to get off the waitlist this week. I'm an Alberta resident. 

ETA: Can I ask your stats? 

Edited by thereluctantemu

42 minutes ago, thereluctantemu said:

Congratulations!!! 

So obviously they've started going through the waitlist! I wonder if they do Saskatchewan first? 

I'm really hoping I hear something to get off the waitlist this week. I'm an Alberta resident. 

ETA: Can I ask your stats? 

Applied + (PT or OT?): UofS (PT), UofM, UofA (OT)
Accepted: UofA (off the waitlist)
Waitlisted: UofA (got off the waitlist May 31 11:43 am)
Rejected: UofS, UofM
GPA: Sask uses percentages, c-gpa: 84, s-gpa: 88 (last 60 credits)
CASPer Quartile: 2nd... I thought I was done for 

This was my first time applying, I wanted OT at UofA the most so I applied once I completed my fall term to boost my average a bit. I definitely was considering other options and stressing once I was on the waitlist because I had no idea where I stood with a lower casper and gpa. I think writing about my experiences working with different populations may have helped my application. 

I worked with geriatrics at a retirement home as a server for my first job for several years. I volunteered with children who have intellectual or physical impairments and helped them participate in physical activity. I worked with children at summer sports camps, customer service job but as a supervisor, volunteered leading pole-walking and exercise sessions for geriatric adults, and I also participated in a cardiac rehabilitation practicum working with clients during my last term of school. 

I was very surprised to be offered a spot this early, I assume it has to do with my Saskatchewan residency. But I still think the application is very much holistic which I hope can reassure some people still on the waitlist! Wish the best for you all! :)

On 5/31/2024 at 9:01 AM, ot2.0 said:

Hi! Just wondering what you did to boost your gpa? As I am already graduated and not sure what I can do to raise my gpa without doing another whole degree. Thank you so much