Premed 101 Forums

Interview with VS 8 anyone?

Guest cher

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone got an interview this year-2006, with VS 8 and everything else competitive. Sorry to post this thread twice, I put it in the wrong place last time.

Thanks.

Guest the man

Hi Everyone,

I have a VR8 score and I got a phone call this morning from UT Meds offering me an interview this weekend! (Obviously me living a few blocks away coming into play!)

So don't let your hopes down!

In case you are wondering, the rest of my stats are: VR8, PS10, BS11, WSQ and UT-GPA of 3.87.

was the phone call from human resources, because human resources called from uoft in the morning at my house, but I wasn't awake.....but it could also be because I work at uoft. I hope I didn't miss any med. related call. :(

Guest kingrad

I got an 8 in PS....so Im wondering too. For those who get an interview with an 8 in one section....how do you think that will play out in the overall selection?....I guess we have to have a strong interview or something. Anyone know how much of an impact it is in the final decision?...mods?

Guest the man

No, the phone call was from Leslie Taylor, the admissions officer. The number on my call display is 416-978-2729.

I am afraid, kinggrad, I think that they are much more sympathetic towards 8's in VR than PR. However, it is definitely not cuttable!

the man:

congrats on the invite, it's great to know that ppl with 8's are capable of getting interviews unlike at other strict mcat cutoff schools.

talk about short notice though! :eek , but i am sure if any of us received a call, we'd all be willing to come in as well.

Are you from UT and are you 3rd/4th year/grad?

Cheers.

One thing I have noticed with those ppl who have responded so far on this forum is that most if not all the people who have received an interview are 4th years. No third years have responded and I believe only 2 or 3 grads have.

Do you guys think that what year you're in will play a factor in deciding if an 8 is acceptable?

Guest kingrad

hmm...so this is true that the mcat scores are not looked again after you have been invited to interview?.....this would be good news to me...as I already got word that my application was under review...and not thrown out bc of my 8 in PS.

please be true.

Guest kingrad

there was an issue back in january with them not having my latest mcat scores....

leslie told me that she sent my application off anyway....knowing that i had an 8 in my new scores....and she still sent it off for review.

Hi,

Just to add my 2 cents. I believe a score of 8 (or lower) in any one of the MCAT section will still be reflected in your academic score in the post-interview review. If I remember correctly from previous year applicants, anyone that scored below the flag will have penalty points deducted from their academic score.

However, having said that, anyone that have received an interview must have scored competitively in comparison to other interviewees. Therefore, it will seem like the MCAT score will not be factored into final decisions. But rest assure, points have been deducted from the score and the points will still be deducted in the final standing.

Bottom line, make it into the top 450 and you won't really need to worry about your MCAT. :)

Guest uftstudent

hi everyone...i'm one of those people with no word from u of t. I'm wondering in their decision to send an interview invite, does the essay play a big role? Or is mostly based on stats like western? So..could a not so great essay cause u to not even have an interview??:\

thanks!

From my understanding of the selection process for the interview the essay plays a huge factor on whether you will receive an interview. As mentioned on the FAQ the weighting for the pre-interview is 60% academic and 40% non-academic (including your essay). You will be judged according to your score and considered for an interview. Beyond the interview, the weighting becomes 60% academics, 20% non-academics and 20% interview score.

In short, yes, a not so good essay could mean the difference between an interview or not.

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has been able to get a response from the admissions office at UofT about applications. OR know any information about when they are sending more interview letters out or if the people that already received interviews are ranked higher than the others or is it random who gets interviews this weekend opposed to in March weekend.

Thanks!

cher:

I think it's been said many times b4 that the order in which the interviews happen is sorta random and just depends on when your application is reviewed.

btw, on the UofT website, it says most letters will be out by mid March, so it's not too much longer of a wait :)

Archived