Premed 101 Forums

Interview invites are out (2006)

Guest Maelswarm

Guest McGillMed2010

dayne67, are you in province or OOP... So far the only schools that haven't rejected me are U of T, McgIll (in province) and Sherbrooke( also in province)... U of T and McGill offer very similar programs so I'd be happy at either one of them (although with in province tuition, McGill is about 1/4 of the cost of U of T :D )

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest NeuroObsessed

So that's 5 invites and no rejections on this board so far... one of those is a Grad student... I've heard a rumour that the first round is only for really-high GPA applicants... and this is holding true so far, considering that all of the applicants with invites have really impressive stats!

I'm 3rd year U of T and still waiting (as you can tell - stats are not that impressive :P )

Have to go study for 3 midterms... all next week... hope I don't get bad news!! 8o

Guest dayne67

I am an in-province applicant. I live in Toronto. It sucks being an Ontario resident because I don't have the stats to get an interview in most schools.

The only school where I have a shot is UofT. My WGPA (3.85) seems to be competitive, but we'll see what happens.

Guest treehuggingbiologist

dayne i totally hear that. had i been living the last 4 years on the opposite side of the river i would have had the entrance cut off of a B that McGill has for OOP applicants.

(i live in ottawa - hull's - ie quebec is across the river from me)

Guest McGillMed2010

yes, but in Quebec, we only have 1 english medical school while in ontario there are 6 so even though McGill's cutoffs are 3.5/4.0 and 30 MCAT for an interview, the competition is still very very high

Guest dayne67

No, I don't meet the MCAT cut-offs for most of the schools in Ontario that require the MCAT. I got a 30 O (10PS, 10VR, 10BS) on my second try.

I am thinking about possibly applying next year to some of the American schools that accept Canadians. Maybe, I can get an interview there. Though, financing my education there is going to be a hurdle, and it's something I have to consider before even applying.

Guest WesternMan

you would've made the Western cut-offs for this yr. The only way you wouldnt have got an interview at Western with those numbers is if one of your references wrote something that could be considered negative by your file reviewers...think its possible? how can ya tell right...anyway, best of luck,

westernman

Guest dayne67

Yeah, my WS score (O) has come back to haunt me. I thought I would be fine when Western posted those initial cut-offs and said that they would not change them. But then they changed their minds and decided to increase the MCAT requirements.

And now it's down to just UofT.

Guest dayne67

It was definitely someone else because I applied to more schools than just Western and UofT, and because I am not that familiar with the blog-sphere.

What's the httpaddress of your blog?

Archived