Premed 101 Forums

Document Assignment (Casper) Issues

Hi

Wondering what the importance of an inappropriately assigned Casper score in a file review process might be. For example, if you assign a Casper score to a school which does not ask for it, is this likely to negatively impact an applicants score? 

Asking as an applicant who got rejected from a program (moderately competitive specialty) and realized they made this mistake in retrospect. Have gotten interviews everywhere else and just sadly curious if anyone knows whether the incorrect assignment of a Casper would have impacted the app. 

Thanks 

Impossible to say, as even the programs who require Casper will all use it differently. I would suspect most places have an official rubric where the application is evaluated on defined criteria, and if the school does not ask for Casper than I would assume it would not be part of that criteria and therefore not considered.

Anecdotal as MS4 however I sent a bunch of programs an extra exam score they didn't ask for and it definitely didn't hurt. Most programs have some language about evaluations/SJTs (Which includes references to CASPer) and a lot say they don't evaluate them AND they don't look at extra stuff. With the new UofT guidelines on PGME application markings and many programs (at least for my first choice) openly stating they use rubrics I'd imagine most don't look at it. Most people wouldn't have sent one anyway so it would be tough for a marker to compare anyway.