Premed 101 Forums

ROL Internal Medicine CaRMS 2024 - Insights on programs?

Hey everyone! 

I am a UBC student applying to IM across the country. I didn't go OOP of electives, and feel like I am going in blind for ROL and am feeling quite anxious about it. I thought after the interviews/info sessions I would have a better sense of things, but I don't feel informed enough to be making these RoL decisions. I have been looking online and can't seem to find any discussions in recent (the past 1-2 years) and I know many programs have had changes.

I would appreciate any insight into perceptions and experiences with the various programs across Canada, including those at UBC. 

I am also wondering if anyone can comment on the average cost of living in the areas residents usually live for a given program if possible. 

Thank you SO much in advance :)

• IlovepugsBC changed the title to ROL Internal Medicine CaRMS 2024 - Insights on programs?

I can speak to Sask IM 

- Living costs are decent, rent ~$1500 for a good studio/one bedroom 

- Residents are super friendly, close knit and do a fair amount of things together

- Program was recently fully accredited

- One of the few IM programs were CTU in first year operates on night float system

- Paper charting

- relatively busy, decent cases, especially from rural areas

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions as well

I was at UWO for 9 years (not in IM residency), and the problem there is the 3 hospitals are scattered around the city, UH is north end, SJH in middle, VH down at south end, so it can be a pain to drive around the different sites. I remember on hematology, had to drive from VH to UH for consults then drive back to VH, pain in the back. Obviously I am out of date so I don't know how things work there now.

And of course housing cost in London isn't what it used to be. The same house that sold for 330K in 2015 just for 770K just over a year ago lol. London used to have a "small affordable fun city" vibe but now it's anything but. I think it's more like a glorified Mississauga lol. It's still cheaper than Van or TO for sure but probably worse than east coast or prairies.