Premed 101 Forums

Hello,

I am a graduating Sec V student and I applied to Brébeuf for a DEC in Sciences de la santé. My Sec IV overall grade average is 94, and this year, it's 95. 

After applying, some of my teachers started telling me I made a mistake and should have applied to the BI program instead. I have intentions of going to McGill after CEGEP to study medicine (and to become a surgeon, hopefully) and I am now wondering if this mistake will cost me my chances to get into McGill, as some of my teachers said that McGill is very selective and they tend to pick BI students from Brébeuf more than those with a regular DEC.

Should I be worried?

Thanks,

Vyke

3 minutes ago, vyke said:

Hello,

I am a graduating Sec V student and I applied to Brébeuf for a DEC in Sciences de la santé. My Sec IV overall grade average is 94, and this year, it's 95. 

After applying, some of my teachers started telling me I made a mistake and should have applied to the BI program instead. I have intentions of going to McGill after CEGEP to study medicine (and to become a surgeon, hopefully) and I am now wondering if this mistake will cost me my chances to get into McGill, as some of my teachers said that McGill is very selective and they tend to pick BI students from Brébeuf more than those with a regular DEC.

Should I be worried?

Thanks,

Vyke

I would not recommend the BI. I got a 38 R score in the DEC at Brébeuf and got to the McGill interviews. The BI is not worth it as the work load is much biger and I don't see an advantage to that programme unless you want to study abroad, although you can't get into any medical programs outside of Québec with only a Cégep diploma, wether it is BI or not. The R scores are pretty much the same in BI or in regular DEC and McGill doesn't care at all if you went to BI. I wouldn't recommend listening to your high school teachers about medical admission. If you want information at school, go talk to your guidance councillor.

23 minutes ago, Mathimatiquement said:

I would not recommend the BI. I got a 38 R score in the DEC at Brébeuf and got to the McGill interviews. The BI is not worth it as the work load is much biger and I don't see an advantage to that programme unless you want to study abroad, although you can't get into any medical programs outside of Québec with only a Cégep diploma, wether it is BI or not. The R scores are pretty much the same in BI or in regular DEC and McGill doesn't care at all if you went to BI. I wouldn't recommend listening to your high school teachers about medical admission. If you want information at school, go talk to your guidance councillor.

Okay, I understand. And how hard is it to get into the McGill interviews, in general?

10 hours ago, vyke said:

Okay, I understand. And how hard is it to get into the McGill interviews, in general?

Depends on your definition of hard. McGill considers mostly the R Score (20% CASPER and 10% CV amounts really to not much) in their evaluation of your profile.  At Mari health, but also Brebeuf IB, you have 25% of the cohort that has 34 R Score or more, which is enough to get you an interview anywhere. McGill has a lot of interview places, but I do not know you, so I cannot really tell you how hard it will be for you to get in