Premed 101 Forums

For an idea on numbers...  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Were you waitlisted for UBC DMD this cycle?

• Yep, that's why I'm here
    • Nope, idk why I'm here

Hey guys,

Like a good few of us, I'm sure, I got waitlisted for UBC's DMD 2028 admissions cycle.

I wanted to start this forum so we can keep track of the waitlist, and see if any movement occurs. . .for our cases, hopefully lots of movement this year!!

Fingers crossed we all get where we need to be!

8 hours ago, Dnt said:

Has anyone ever got accepted from the UBC waitlist?:(

Absolutely!

A few people I know got an acceptance from UBC a four years ago, but they all went to UofT! So that allowed some waitlist folk in.

It really depends on the year, but it definitely happens.

8 minutes ago, FlossOrElse said:

Absolutely!

A few people I know got an acceptance from UBC a four years ago, but they all went to UofT! So that allowed some waitlist folk in.

I don't wanna get my hopes up tho:(

On 3/17/2024 at 12:21 AM, FlossOrElse said:

Absolutely!

I believe UofT has alaready released their acceptance..... So the liklihood of someone declining UBC's offer is low. 

51 minutes ago, Pineapple13579 said:

I believe UofT has alaready released their acceptance..... So the liklihood of someone declining UBC's offer is low. 

That is true, but we all apply to multiple places, right? Applicants could have already accepted their UofT offer if that was their top choice, then decline their offer from UBC, opening up space for us waitlisted folk.

Every year is going to be different. I'm choosing to stay hopeful, while also making alternate plans just in case.

13 minutes ago, FlossOrElse said:

That is true, but we all apply to multiple places, right? Applicants could have already accepted their UofT offer if that was their top choice, then decline their offer from UBC, opening up space for us waitlisted folk.

Every year is going to be different. I'm choosing to stay hopeful, while also making alternate plans just in case.

Yes but on the other hand, U of Ts offers apparently were available at Feb 23 rd which is before the UBC interview. So, if they got and acceptance they probably skipped the interview.

Anyways, lets stay hopeful. There is still mcgill and med.

40 minutes ago, Dnt said:

Yes but on the other hand, U of Ts offers apparently were available at Feb 23 rd which is before the UBC interview. So, if they got and acceptance they probably skipped the interview.

Anyways, lets stay hopeful. There is still mcgill and med.

I am not sure.... McGill heavily prefers French. UBC Med only releases result in May, and students pay a large sum of deposit for UBC Dentistry. And I don't get about UofT. Because on their website it says "We will email you in March to let you know if you have been successful." Not Feburary.... I am just confused here. 

Sorry, I am being not very optimistic here, b/c I've been on the WL before, and I have friends on the WL before, and we couldn't get in. 

11 minutes ago, Pineapple13579 said:

I am not sure.... McGill heavily prefers French. UBC Med only releases result in May, and students pay a large sum of deposit for UBC Dentistry. And I don't get about UofT. Because on their website it says "We will email you in March to let you know if you have been successful." Not Feburary.... I am just confused here. 

I just looked up the med tuition and i think their whole tuition is almost equal to one year of dental school. So if I was paying at least 200k less, I wouldn’t mind the extra 12k. Maybe I'm wrong tho. 

I didn’t apply for it myself but there is a thread for U of T acceptance. 

Anyway, I’m not too hopeful myself. I only wish they could tell us why we didn't get the offer so we can change things for the next years.

Have you been on the UBC waitlist? 

1 hour ago, Dnt said:

I just looked up the med tuition and i think their whole tuition is almost equal to one year of dental school. So if I was paying at least 200k less, I wouldn’t mind the extra 12k. Maybe I'm wrong tho. 

I didn’t apply for it myself but there is a thread for U of T acceptance. 

Anyway, I’m not too hopeful myself. I only wish they could tell us why we didn't get the offer so we can change things for the next years.

Have you been on the UBC waitlist? 

Yea, I know... the med tuition fee is so much cheaper compared to dentistry. I dunno abotu UofT. I checked the premed forum you mentioned, and it's true that they started sending out offers in Feb 23rd. I am not sure why their website says March. 

Yea I was. My friends were as well. I have never heard of anyone getting in from WL. However, I am not saying it's impossible. This depends on fate and luck I feel... 

3 minutes ago, Pineapple13579 said:

Yea, I know... the med tuition fee is so much cheaper compared to dentistry. I dunno abotu UofT. I checked the premed forum you mentioned, and it's true that they started sending out offers in Feb 23rd. I am not sure why their website says March. 

Yea I was. My friends were as well. I have never heard of anyone getting in from WL. However, I am not saying it's impossible. This depends on fate and luck I feel... 

Ukh that must suck. Let's just cross our fingers and take steps for the next cycle. 

5 minutes ago, Dnt said:

Ukh that must suck. Let's just cross our fingers and take steps for the next cycle. 

prob not anymore for me. my DAT has expired for ubc already. I rlly wanna avoid doing it. So I was very desperate this cycle. But well... all the best of luck for anyone trying again for the next cycle. :) 

19 minutes ago, Pineapple13579 said:

prob not anymore for me. my DAT has expired for ubc already. I rlly wanna avoid doing it. So I was very desperate this cycle. But well... all the best of luck for anyone trying again for the next cycle. :) 

I really hope you get it this cycle then :)

Just now, iDent2000 said:

Any movement today? The deadline to accept was today at 9am!

Deadline to accept the offer or the waitlist? On the website, the deadline to pay the deposit was 2 weeks?!

11 minutes ago, Dnt said:

Deadline to accept the offer or the waitlist? On the website, the deadline to pay the deposit was 2 weeks?!

The deadline to accept the offer is today, and the deadline to submit the deposit is next week! I think the extra week buffer was to allow accepted students to gather enough $$$ for the deposit. 

27 minutes ago, iDent2000 said:

The deadline to accept the offer is today, and the deadline to submit the deposit is next week! I think the extra week buffer was to allow accepted students to gather enough $$$ for the deposit. 

Hahaha makes sense! Let's hope for lots of movement this week.

58 minutes ago, iDent2000 said:

Do you have any idea how many people have accepted their offer and the number of seats this year? 

2 hours ago, iDent2000 said:

I would still wait for 2 weeks…. 

Edit: crossing my fingers.... both hands.....