Premed 101 Forums

FM with PhD

I am starting my residency in family medicine. I have a strong interest in research. I plan to do a PhD during or after my residency. What positions could be available to me with a PhD? Advices?

• 1 month later...

Academic FM jobs are plentiful from last I heard?

With a PhD and presumably a productive research CV and networking, you can probs go straight into an academic family health team (e.g. Bruyere is one in Ottawa, I'm sure there are comparable ones at other centres) with tenure track and a 50/50 clinical research split.

Or, as another opinion, see how important other aspects in your life are, and would you be willing to sacrifice those aspects during a busy time in your life. Sometimes, just cashing in and then enjoying family, friends, vacay, hobbies, but that's just my two cents. See how your perspective changes as your first year goes by.

I wonder what kind of salary you'd be looking at to be honest. GP's are generally not super well reimbursed when you consider how much they pay for overhead and of course depending on billing codes/which province you are in. Combining that with an academic role, I wonder if your annual salary would be even lower, as opposed to doing just pure general practice, which I suspect would be the case. Obviously salary is not everything, but its a consideration.