Premed 101 Forums

Intern Diary Entries

Guest DonaldKaufman

Guest DonaldKaufman

Just in case any of you are interested, Slate magazine (which is some kind of news-esque online magazine that I read fairly regularly) has been publishing (uploading?) the diaries of two first-year internal medicine residents at a Harvard-affiliated hospital in Boston. They've been puting a new one on the website each day this week. If you want to check it out, go to http://www.slate.com . Scroll down to Monday's news - that's where the first one is.

Guest thatuvicguy

hey DK,

thanks for posting this - it was an interesting read last night! they are well-written and you get a pretty good feel for what they're going through as interns. i'm looking forward to their next entry!

cheers,

thatuvicguy

Guest medicator007

Internship is actually what the first year of post-graduate training (residency) is called in the US in some programs. The Internship year has been done away with in Canada for some time now, though there is talk of re-instating it.

Guest UTMed07

On the topic of diaries... here is one that I thought was very interesting: upalumni.org/medschool/

It is from a guy that went to Tufts.

How it starts --preface:

I just graduated with honors from Tufts University School of Medicine, the class of 1999. I don't feel honorable, though. I have become disillusioned - disgusted even - by medical training and medicine as a whole. I want to help others dispel their illusions as well...

Guest drews97

This is one person's opinion. It seems reasonable to me that out of all the people who become doctors at least a few dislike it...I'm sure not every lawyer likes his or her job either. For every bad account of med school/medicine you can find countless positive ones.

Archived