Premed 101 Forums

LOI

Guest Lorae

Guest Lorae

On SDN there is always a lot of talk about writing (post interview) binding letters of intent (stating if accepted you *will* attend their school) versus non-binding letters of interest.

Is this an issue because of the nature of rolling admissions? Is this an American thing or is this something that Canadian applicants can/should do as well??

I was planning on sending thank-you cards to all the schools that I interview at... but would it be wise to use more "forceful" wording to the school(s) at the top of my list??

Thanks for any opinions and advice!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Lorae,

Although it is a thoughtful gesture to send thank you notes to your Canadian medical school interviewers, I highly doubt that the wording of them would have any effect on your chances of admission.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Lorae

I agree... and might go so far as to say "nor should they"

but what is it all about in the US then? Is their admissions process *that* different than ours?

Guest aneliz

I have never heard of the 'binding letters of intent' concept...and for UWO, any correspondence that you send post-interview (thank you card, letter of intent, cheque for a million dollars, etc) will have ZERO effect on your chances of admission

Guest Lorae

They talk about them on SDN alot. Apparently if you send a letter of intent to more then 1 school they can revoke your offer.

Mind you, these are pre-meds who are posting this (and SDN is significantly more troll-laden than this forum :b ) so this information could be way off.

Archived