Premed 101 Forums

Question about AP exam.

Guest archchivalry

Guest archchivalry

Hi guys.

It's my girlfriend's situation and I have a question

because she doesn't know what to do and I want to help.

She graduated highschool this June just like me,

and she got 4 on chem AP test, so she got credit

from university by mail.

The question is should she drop out first year Chemistry?

and take 2nd year chemistry course or something else?

Or should she take first year chemistry course to get

good mark?

The problem is it will show "repeat" on the transcript and

she is worried whether there will be any disadvantage

of getting into medschool for that.

Thank you for your time.

Any advice will be appriciated.

P.S. I got 3 out of 5 and didn't get credit :P

As far as I know, she does not have to accept the credit the university gave her. Thus, there will be no repetition of the course if she decides to take it. That being said, General Chem is not very difficult and I'm sure she should be able to do just as well, if not better. Then again, I believe that AP credits are out of 5 and 4/5 is not a bad grade. Accepting the university credit will give her a chance to jump ahead and take OChem or another fun elective, which is worth it in my opinion.

Guest blinknoodle

AP must have changed since I took it.

I took both AP French and Calculus, but didn't use either towards university credit (mainly because my university, McMaster, didn't accept them; I didn't really have a choice).

However, coming from the view of someone who took AP calculus and took first year university calculus (sorry, no info for chem here), I would recommend sticking with the university credit. For me, the AP was only good enough to skip the first semester of calculus (not the whole year). And it was during the first semester that the prof went over the expectations of university mathematics, etc. I remember that on my calc assignments, I used to lose marks even though I had the right answer because I wasn't proving it the right way (even though this was the way I did it in high school). Even in courses like chemistry and biology, I found that it was really nice to learn how to approach the problem from a different way that I learned in high school, how to write the lab report for the university, etc. They take the time in first year to go over this and it will be assumed prior knowledge once you get into second year, etc.

I also wouldn't discount taking chemistry a second time as a easy mark.. at least for me, I find that if I think it is easy, I study less and somehow end up with a lower mark. When I was in first year chem, I had taken OAC chemistry three years previously (and during a year my school went on strike - at least that is what I am blaming it on).. there were many things I hadn't even heard before I went to university (I knew what an ion was, but not a cation; never even heard of VSEPR; etc). Others on my res floor had seen it all before and didn't study, whereas I had to work a bit harder - which paid off in the end.

Anyhow, just some food for thought. Things may have changed since I was in high school and what universities accept and do with it on your transcript. You may want to check in with your specific university. Your girlfriend knows herself best and whether she'd like more chemistry courses, which is really the bottom line.

-bn

Guest archchivalry

Thanks guys.

but what if she accepts the credit and

take Chemistry 1 course again?

Is it considered as a repeated course?

(That's what her councillor said when she called)

Is that disadvantageous?

Guest summervirus

I was in a similar situation because of IB. I also received credits for a few courses like chemistry out of highschool. I chose to take first year chemistry anyway, knowing that it would say "repeated" on my transcript. When I applied to med school, I just wrote down in the special comments section at the end of the application (and all med schools have this) that the reason that this course was repeated was because I received credit from some highschool courses. It didn't negatively affect my application.

Archived