Premed 101 Forums

References!!!

Guest MDmmmsure

Guest MDmmmsure

Howdy....

Well, I can honestly say that deciding who I should ask to write my reference letters for me is so far the hardest part of the applications I have been doing. I was hoping that there are some individuals who can give me some advice. My situation is this...My first choice of schools is the UofA which only requires 2 reference forms. I have one definite referee for sure that has agreed to write me letters for all the schools I apply to, and thats the volunteer unit that I am currently in at the University Hospital. However, I am struggling with my second choice. I am currently doing research (summer scholarship) and could ask my supervisor for one. However, my hesitation is that I have only known him for approximately four months, and I don't know whether or not he would be apply to give a convincing letter with regards to my personal characteristics. I have also considered a professor that I had for two courses in second year (I am going into my fourth year) in whom I got to know well, and who actually wrote for me my reference letter for the summer research scholarship. However, my hesitation is that we have only been in brief contact over this past year, and that she would not be able to give a true testament to my personal characteristics. For my third choice I am considering a very close friend of mine, who is actually my ex-girlfriends father (my ex and I are also very close). He is head pastor at a church (not the one I go to) and I have known him for over 6 years. I truly feel that he knows me the best, and he has actually witnessed some of the experiences that I believe have strengthened my character (ie. like going on two missions trips to Mexico). My only hesitation here is that I constantly here that prestige is everything, that is, the best reference letter would be from a doctor if possible, or a PhD in medical research, and so on. I don't know whether it's worth sacrificing what would most likely be very in depth reference letter for one that is from someone with a higher academic standing. (although this friend of mine did do an undergraduate degree in biology and a masters in theology... mmmm). What do you think would be my best option. Thanks for any advice!

Guest Salkh

I can't give you a whole lot of advice in terms of who to ask for a reference, because I don't know whether or not the admin committee weights a reference from an MD or PhD more strongly that a reference from someone else. However, I just want to mention that here at the UofA, references are only worth 2.5% each for your overall application. Your references alone won't get you in, but if they are bad, they can definitely keep you out. Just something to keep in mind when you are making your decision. I personally would go with the one who knows you best and really has your best interests at heart (ie. the pastor), especially since you mention he has witnessed some of your character-building experiences. He can write you a more unique reference, rather than the standard reference letter you are likely to get from a prof who only vaguely knows you. If you want an expert opinion, I would contact Marlene Healy at the UofA med school admissions office: (780) 492-6350.

Guest McMastergirl

I agree with the above poster, and would add that reference letters for med school are worth very little. This is in contrast to letters written on your behalf when applying to a residency- these are MUCH more important, and they have to be from faculty.

Guest Lactic Folly

Why not ask them how strong a letter they can write you before you set up a meeting to give them all your information, etc..

Guest CTU24

Hi MDmmmmsure,

Choosing references seems to be a popular topic lately...check out this link for a recent discussion:

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm28.showMessage?topicID=407.topic

To sum up, i agree that med school references don't make as much as a difference as people generally think they do...~5% of the application sounds about right. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't put any time into them. IMO, i don't think name dropping or degree dropping will give you any advantage. What you should be aiming for is personal references, from people who know you, who can each speak strongly about different aspects of your personaliy. The general rule is a professor to speak about academics, a Dr, and a non-academic reference to speak about your social skills. These people also don't need to have known you for your whole life, but it is important to ensure that they will write you a good reference. Sometimes giving them your autobio essay will help. Im my case, i used a prof who I barely knew, a Dr. who i knew for a long time, and a camp director that i knew for 4 years.

So, i think the most important thing to remember is BALANCE. Make sure you've covered all your bases and you'll be fine. That fact is more important that prestige, or length of time someone has know you.

Good luck

CTU24

Archived