Premed 101 Forums

question regarding undergraduate studies

Guest someone who is confused

Guest someone who is confused

hi and i am back with a question .. actually i am studying for my HSSC in my country that is Higher Secondary School Certificate ..It makes two years of college and i am studying the premedical subjects that is biology,physics,chemistry,english and two more.. Do i still need to complete any other undergraduate course in canada before applying to a medical school in canada and secondly do University of Calgary offers the undergraduate courses which are required before applying for the MD programme

I hope that you will help me.. looking forward to your reply

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

...and secondly do University of Calgary offers the undergraduate courses which are required before applying for the MD programme
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're wondering if U. of Calgary offers typical medical school pre-requisite courses, e.g., biochemistry, organic chemistry, etc.? Yes, they do.

Cheers, and best of luck with your applications,

Kirsteen

Guest aneliz

All Canadian med schools require you to have *at least* two years of undergrad studies done and most require three or four years completed. Even though the Alberta schools theoretically accept applicants after 2 years, this is not common...there are very few people that get in after only 2 years. And, I am not sure that any Canadian school will grant you 2 WHOLE YEARS of transfer credits for your HSSC. Just because it is recognised as equivalent to 2 years of college in your country, doesn't mean that a Canadian school will give you equivalent transfer credits. You will need to check that out with the school in question.

Bottom line: I would be very surprised if you would be able to apply to med, in Canada, directly from your HSSC. Call the schools that you are interested in and ask.

Guest avisee

You may also want to check with Canadian undergraduate institutions to see what sort of transfer credit you might get if you elected to pursue a Bachelors degree. If you are really intent on studying medicine in Canada then this will likely help your application if you need 3-4 years of study to apply. I'm not sure the specifics on what is considered equivalent education, but if Canadian universities consider that to be the same as 2 years of undergraduate study, then you would only need to complete one extra year of study in order to be eligible to apply (and more likely to be granted an interview) at most Canadian schools. I imagine the fact that you are committed to studying in Canada enough to spend a preliminary year doing further undergraduate study here would certainly help your application if you are not a Canadian citizen.

But I agree with aneliz: only the Admissions officers at each particular school can tell you exactly how they will view your HSSC.

Guest aneliz
I imagine the fact that you are committed to studying in Canada enough to spend a preliminary year doing further undergraduate study here would certainly help your application if you are not a Canadian citizen.

Not quite true... for many schools, they will not even accept your application if you are not a citizen or landed immigrant. This has nothing to do with your 'commitment' to studying in Canada... it has everything to do with the fact that Canadian med school seats are subsidized by Canadian taxpayers and the numbers regulated by Canadian provincial governments... if you do not have permanent status in Canada, doing undergrad here will have ZERO effect on your ability to apply to Canadian med schools that have a no 'visa student' policy. Sorry.

Archived