Hello.

I'm enrolled in science program, and

I will be doing

Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Calculus

and one elective for the first year.

I'm not sure what will be my best choice

my options are:

- Chinese (I'm completely new to this)

- Writing for ESL students (since I'm considered to be an ESL)

*ESL : English as a Second Language

Both of them are from the faculty of arts

and I'm just wondering if it is better to learn

new language or try to do something

that will help me throughout university

even though it is less interesting

(my writing skill is very bad)

But my concern is that

1. Is it harder to get good mark in writing course?

2. Will med-school considered that credit as an art credit (humanity) when there is other course called

writing for univ. students?(the course is also for first year

and is open to everyone)

Guest UTStudent03

Hi,

Learning a new language is pretty cool, but that being said... The writing course may be more beneficial to you during your university career, especially if in later years you take courses that require alot of writing. I took an english writing course in first year and it was a good learning experience. If your writing skills are weak then a writing course will help you out alot, as it did for me. And the course was, suprisingly, not boring at all!

As for the marks aspect, I really can't say if it's harder to achieve good marks in a writing class. If you put in the work, you'll get results; if you don't, you probably won't do as well. For a writing class though the profs are trying to help you improve so I don't think they'll be trying to make half the class fail or anything like that.

As for the med school part of your question, I would think the course would be considered an art credit but it would be best to check with the schools themselves.

Good luck.

Guest Lorae

I'm not sure if it would count as an arts or humanities option... but the better your english is, the better you will do in your other courses *and* the VR section of the MCAT.

I'd vote you to work on your english. Especially if you can get credit towards your degree.

Guest aneliz

I too think that you should work on your English writing skills...it will help you in almost every course that you will take, will help you write med applications and be beneficial when it is time to do the MCAT. That said, be careful that the writing for ESL students is counted as a 'university level' course and not a high school equivalent level course....many schools will not let you use courses of that level as a pre-req.

Guest archchivalry

Hello.

I'm just wondering with aneliz's reply.

If a course is offered at University, isn't it

university-level credit?

Guest 2 plus 2 is 4

Hey archchivalry,

I think the term 'University-level' refers to the difficulty level of the course and not which kind of educational institution you took it at. Given this, some universities will offer courses that give students the necessary background to be able to take more difficult (university-level) courses. For example, York offers a highschool-level calculus course, which students who didn't take calculus in highschool must take in order to enroll in the higher level math courses.

Guest archchivalry

Oh, I see what you meant by that 2 plus 2 is 4, thanks.

I looked up on the calendar and that

writing for ESL student is NOT the prerequisite

or anything to writing for any univ students course.

It seems like they are unrelated, as

it is neither anti-req nor pre-req

Actually, if I took 'writing for ESL student' course

then I can NOT take 'writing for any univ. student' course.

By the way, I'm refering to the course at Western U.

Archived