Premed 101 Forums

Canadian vs. American

Guest adamj61

Guest adamj61

It seems to me that Canadian schools have tougher "cutoffs" for MCAT scores. I have a low writing score and I applying to American schools....but in the process I have noticed that I can't find any cutoffs, maybe they will jsut eliminate me without the heads up. That doesnt surprise me!

Guest threeputt

American schools don't tend to have strict cutoffs like some Ontario schools, but a good/great MCAT score will go a long way towards an American application, whereas it's often not considered besides as a red flag in Canada. I found searching on the internet some good stats for average entering scores etc for American schools (not cutoffs). I will post the link if I can remember it.

Guest studentz

I don't know how much I agree with your statement. Threeputt is right about the cut-off thing. The MCAT is huge in the states, and even many of the the lower ranked schools have average MCATs that are well above the cut-offs for most Canadian schools. Look at the AAMC's MSAR book for the most current info, or the individual schools' websites. Remember, for a US school to take you over an American citizen, you'll have to a superior candidate, and for the US, that generally means having a superior MCAT score.

The best schools in the States probably won't look at you if you don't have a 33+ and Washington's average is nearly a 37!!!

Guest adamj61

I am an american, so my 12 12 7V should be fine. Wash is impossible unless you are from that area, they love to train rural physicians for idaho, montana...that whole area. I never really thought of applying to Canadian schools...but the way our country is being run, who knows!

Guest Steve U of T

Studentz probably meant Washington University in St. Louis, not University of Washington. Last I checked, their average MCAT scores are about 11 on verbal, and 13 on each science section, and they actively try to recruit out of state and international applicants. I got a letter from them asking me to apply after I wrote the MCAT (apparently the AAMC sends them the name and address of people who score highly). However, I don't think they look too carefully at the writing sample. I think I've looked at a list of MCAT averages released by American schools, and they rarely list an average or cutoff for the writing sample section.

Guest studentz
I got a letter from them asking me to apply after I wrote the MCAT (apparently the AAMC sends them the name and address of people who score highly).

Ahhh...the good old Washington U letter letting us know they have a history of taking students just like us:rolleyes . I think they send that thing out to everyone who scores a 35 or 36 or something...all the US ppl. think the school is just trying to move up in the rankings and i guess it worked 'cause they somehow got #2 over Hopkins!

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, Washington does have a Hx of sending out brochures to people with high MCAT Scores. They've been doing for at least a few years now.

And I've heard as well that they have been aiming for higher GPA/MCAT stats with the specific intention of artificially pumping up their rankings. . .

So much for rankings.

Even though Wash U is #2, JHU is still more reputable in terms of research and patient care. Outside of the academic community, if you tell people (even in the US) you go to Wash U, they'll be like, "huh? Is that in Washington state?" And if you head over to SDN there'll be a thread every month or so bashing Wash U for its policiy of admitting students with insanely high MCAT scores.

Archived