Premed 101 Forums

outline from year 1 med to practice

Guest jenanna1

Guest jenanna1

could somebody list what exactly a med students needs to do to eventually practice? e.g., graduate (4 years), residency (1 year), internship, boards, exams, etc. etc.??

Guest Sarah371

Hey Jenanna,

Year 1-4 is undergraduate medical education, which includes 2-2.5 years of classroom work and 1.5-2 years of "clerkship" or in hospital rotations.

LMCC (Canadian Boards) step one is taken at the end of 4th year

Year 5-13 depending on the residency Family Medicine - 2yrs

5 years for most subspecialty areas and 8 years for stuff like neurosurgery.

LMCC step two is taken at the end of your 2nd or in your third year of residency.

You are also required to take specialty boards at the end of your residency in order to be able to practice.

Fellowship often two years to specialize within your specialty.

SARAH

Guest Steve U of T

Is it really 8 years for a neurosurgery residency, or does that include a graduate degree and/or a fellowship? I met a neurosurgeon doing a spine fellowship last year, and he seemed like a relatively young man. I thought it was about 6 years, like cardiac. It seems like neurosurgery isn't a very favourable residency if it takes 8 years, doesn't guarantee you a job in Canada, and can't get you licenced to practice in the U.S.

Guest MikeD

Hi there,

You can finish neurosurg in 6 years (according to program listings on the carms website), but some/most programs encourage the completion of a masters or PhD, which would tack on the extra years you're probably thinking of.

Guest McMaster Health

>>>You can finish neurosurg in 6 years (according to program listings on the carms website), but some/most programs encourage the completion of a masters or PhD, which would tack on the extra years you're probably thinking of.

I thought that 6 years include 1 year of research, is that true (at least for the program at Mac)?

Guest MikeD

You're right. I just sort of threw that 6-12 months of mandatory research into the core 6 years. I'm not sure how many of them can make it out with a masters after that time, so the masters or PhD completion would be tacked on to 6 years total.

Guest aneliz

Most residency programs (in any discipline) include at least 3 months of research and require a research project of some description. However, this amount of time and scale of project is NOT enough to get an MSc or PhD (not surprisingly...). So, for those that want to complete another degree during their residency, the research time is added and lengthens the total residency time - for example: 6 years of residency (including 1 year research) + 2 extra years of research = neurosurgery with a Phd.

Archived