Premed 101 Forums

Do I Have Any Chance Whatsoever?

Guest T3h Dude

Guest T3h Dude

Hi. I just finished my degree, and I would really like to go to medical school, but I don't think my grades would qualify me for any medical school in Canada or the US. I have a CGPA of about 2.9, although over the last 2 years I have a GPA of about 3.5. Does anyone know if there is a school in Canada or the US where I might even have a chance with these kinds of numbers? From the research I have done, it seems I don't have a chance in hell anywhere. Thanks.

Guest codloghorn

you should have a chance in the united states, providing you meet the prerequisites. with your GPA, i don't think you have any chance in ontario. maybe somewhere else in canada, i'm not sure.

Guest Lorae

but before abandoning canada for the states...

Don't count yourself out. Your 3.5 isn't a terrible GPA, but it does need boosting. There are so many ways to improve your application/statistics. It all depends on how long you want to dedicate yourself to pursuing *entrance* to medical school. You could do another degree or do a masters. You could do a special year. Get a killer volunteer job. Start researching and get published. There's so many ways to better your application and eventually get accepted.

It all depends how long/hard you want to work towards acceptance (because after the acceptance comes another 6 (minimum) years of hard work). The committment isn't for everyone, but if it is for you then you have plenty of time!!!

Personally, I've taken a long path to getting in. My tip is to not look at it as being something crazy like a million more years of school. When I made my decision to pursue medicine I was 23 years old. After doing the math I realized I wouldn't be 100% done and able to practice in my specialty until I am about 38 - but for me it's the journey and I know it will be worth it.

There is always the American option as well. I think it's a bit harder for foreign students (getting financial aid and stuff).

Good luck with your decision!

It also depends on where you're from. I believe that some schools have minimum last 2 year gpa's of 3.5 for in-province applicants.

(An) additional year(s) of school in a graduate program/post-bacc year/2nd degree could boost your last 2 years gpa significantly. I know someone that did a second degree in 2 years b/c of the courses he already covered.

I second Lorae's advice. It will just come down to how much you really want to be a doctor or whatever else you see an MD openning the door to. By no means are you disqualified from entry to med school but as you know, it's tough jumping into such a commitment without any guarantees that it'll pay off. Good luck.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there T3h Dude,

I was in a somewhat similar situation as you when I began applying to medical schools four years ago. I pursued a number (if not, almost all :) ) of the recommendations already mentioned by the above posters, i.e., completed an "upgrade" year after my first graduate degree to increase my undergraduate GPA; (and permit me to collect my 4-year BSc); began a second, science-based graduate degree that permitted a good bit of research productivity; did some decent volunteering; got a great research assistant job that allowed additional research prodcuctivity, etc. Finally, as a bit of a last resort, I applied to a swath of US schools this year (lower tier schools may be a good option for you).

This process takes a bit of fortitude, especially when you receive multiple rejections. If you can persevere, however, then you can improve your application year over year and have a good shot at getting to where you wish to be. Good luck. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest threeputt

T3h,

It will be tough to get into Canadian schools, as has been already said. If US schools are an option for you, your stats are probably competitive for DO schools (after which you can compete for American residencies and practice in the US as a physician). Also, if you study like hell for the MCAT and ace it (35+), US schools look VERY favorably on this - much moreso than Canadian. It's basically the best way for schools down there to compare applicants because there are so many schools with differing standards of difficulty.

It all depends on what you want in your career. After going to US, chances of matching to a "good" residency in Canada are slim, so you will likely have to stay there. If you want to work in Canada, then doing a Masters or something to bump your GPA may be the wisest course...

Good luck!

Guest T3h Dude

Thank you all for your responses. I would certainly be willing to go to the US for schooling, but I think I would have to look at getting an MD, since I would like to at least leave room for the possiblity of coming back to Canada at some point - although I'm sure I could live a happy life in the US if it came down to it. I was a science student so I probably have all the prerequisites to fulfil any medical school's requirements. I think I am going to write a few practice MCATS to gauge how well I might do if I took it. If I feel I can get a very high score it will be encouragement for me to go ahead and make the effort to take the MCAT and apply to a few US schools in the future.

Archived