Premed 101 Forums

Undergrad science programs and motivation of being a doctor

Guest archchivalry

Guest archchivalry

Hi.

I just have two questions to ask for you guys.

I am thinking if I do undergrad science program then I will

go either Guelph science, Western science, Waterloo science, Mcmaster science, or UT science program.

I don't know which one will suit me best.

I want to go science program that will have lots of

flexibility and also respected. Also, I want to go to a

program that won't be extremely hard to get good GPA.

Also, I am weak at writings, so I don't think it is a good idea

to go university with lots of writing components. I'm strong

at math.

My second question is that

what is the reason of being a doctor for many people?

What kind of thing will motivate you to be a doctor

despite you have to experience "gross" things

(Like cutting flesh - that's what I consider gross now)

Guest Koppertone

Firstly, I would say just pick an undergraduate program that you enjoy. I went into Cell Biology in order to try and have some sway in the application process, but in the end I wasn't the biggest fan of my program and as it turns out it really gave me no advantage as many of the applicants were genetics/cell bi grads anyhow! In retrospect I think I would have much rather liked a major in zoology or something along those lines, but when I was applying I really had no clue about what I enjoyed. C'est la vie.

As for your English writing skills, I would suggest practicing. Part of the MCAT is a written essay, so in order to have any chance at that you'll really need to prep yourself. In addition, most schools require a written essay, so your English needs to be top notch. But if you're just entering your undergrad you'll have plently of time to practice.

As for reasons to enter medicine I would ask: why do you want to enter medicine? This is an important question to ask if you're considering this as a career choice. In undergrad I blindly chose medicine as a career to pursue, however in 3rd year I began to realize that I hadn't ever given anything else any real consideration. So I volunteered more, explored other options, and by the time the application process came around, I realized that medicine was something that I'd really enjoy. It's something that you have to come to decide on your own, however my reasons were that I got to work in the field of biology, particularly the parts that I enjoyed the most, and I got to combine that with working with people everyday. In my volunteer and paid research experience, I always felt that human interaction was something that was sorely lacking (not to dump on research or anything, this was just my opinion). It just felt right to be in a hospital helping people. And lastly, I was really drawn by the challenge of medicine and the continual learning. Sounds like an interview cliche, but this really was something that I found exciting. So do some volunteer work, explore your options and see why it is that YOU want to enter medicine.

Guest CommerceStudent

If you wanna get high marks, I would go to western. I have a number of friends there that say science there is not very difficult; if you put in the time and study, you can get mid-high 90s. One of my friends there did almost no work and got mid 80s. If I was set only on going to medical school, I'd definitely go to Western

Guest squeegy80

Now there's a generalization!! :P

It completely depends on the student as to which profs they find teach "easier" courses, plus the profs do change quite a bit, so even if Western may be known to be a bit easier at some point in time (which doesn't sound very true to me) it is continuously changing.

Archived