Premed 101 Forums

Surgical research opportunity in Africa

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I know there are a few folks around here who had mentioned that they were looking for a decent plan B if they didn't enter medical school this year. Well, our office will soon be searching for someone to partner with a Canadian surgical resident to travel to and work in East Africa for a year on a number of different surgical research initiatives. If this sounds like something that might be of interest to you, send me a private message. The initiative shall probably begin some time in August or September--the details are a little fuzzy at present. (Incidentally, this is a new position which emerged a few weeks ago, due to the recent news of our win of a significant CIHR grant.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

The office is based in Tanzania, but the work will involve travel to a number of countries in East Africa to work with surgeons in each, e.g., Mozambique, Malawi, Ethiopia, Uganda, Zambia...

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest loolou

Hi Kirsteen!

I stumbled across this site and started reading some of the posts. Wow, I think it is so great how you have supported and offered so much advice to anxious pre-meds. I returned from volunteering in St. Lucia on a quest to decide if I was tough enough to handle medicine and I discovered that I truly do want to become a doctor. However, I missed this years application cycle so for the next year I basically am looking for something that will be rewarding and interesting. I would love to hear more about the research opportunity if it would not be too much of a problem. For instance, how would I apply?

Thanks a bunch :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there loolou,

I received the p.m. that you sent and zipped a wee response back to you.

Basically, for anyone else who may be interested in the Research Assistant position, you need to pull together and submit a current CV, which I shall forward to our Director.

The RA work will probably begin in August/September this year as we have one surgical team that will be traveling to Uganda in August. It's not inconceivable that our RA will travel with them to become familiar with some of the surgeons working in Uganda, and perhaps a few other areas; however, the absolute start date may be flexible.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Gem2005

Hi,

I find this position interesting. I have been working on three epidemiological studies in a hospital setting, but never really traveled. Could you tell me how long this position is for (Sept2004 to when?).

also, where can I get more info, and how to contact you.

Thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Epidemiological experience is definitely an asset to this role as it involves research that is more of an epidemiologic nature. The exact dates of travel within Africa, and length of the position, remain undetermined and are probably up for negotiation. Ideally, however, the contract will be for about 12 months, i.e., August to August. Again, not all of that time shall be spent in Africa, most likely.

If you remain interested in the position, send me a private message via EZBoard so that we can make arrangements to forward your CV to our Director.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest skiboot

Hi Kirsteen,

I have some of the same questions, but how exactly do I send a private message. I clicked on your name and then the 'send me a message' link, but could not send a message.

Sorry, I'm a bit new at this.

Thanks,

skiboot

Guest tirisa

Hey Kirsteen,

I just saw on another thread that you got accepted to UC. Congrats... you must be sooo excited about it. You are incredibly deserving of it as well... if your committment to medicine is a fraction of your committment to helping others on this board, then you will be a superstar doc.

Re: this surgery post... looks so interesting. If I didn't already have a job that keeps me travelling, I would look into it further, but alas...

Anyway, best of luck again.

Cheers,

T

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

First, thanks for your wishes, tirisa. :)

Second, regarding sending me a private message, it should be do-able, as others have done so and I have received them over the past couple of days. Sorry, I can't devote more time to exploring the root of the problem as I'm presently on a limited internet connection in Glasgow. (You'd think I was trying to function in a cave. ;) )

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived