Premed 101 Forums

Volunteering/ECE

Guest UofT Student OT7

Guest UofT Student OT7

Hi everyone, I know this topic must have been discussed many times before, but I was hoping if everyone could help me out. For applicants and those that are in med school currently, could you tell me how many hours of volunteering/ECE did you typically do per week during the school year?

Thanks everyone!:)

Guest marbledust

Speaking only for myself, the number of hours you volunteer a week/month should be more about quality than quantity. I think it's better to volunteer at one or two places, and to make a contribution and gain meaningful experience rather than volunteering all over the place just to make your application more attractive.

I didn't have a ton of volunteering experience, averaging about 6-8 hours a month, sometimes less. Some people have family, employment, academic, etc committments that just don't leave time for tons of volunteering. If you have some type of meaningful volunteer work, even if it is only a few hours a month I don't think you will be penalized or make a worse impression than somebody who might be volunteering 20 hours a week (and who might be stretching themselves a bit thin).

Just my opinion though...

Archived