Premed 101 Forums

appearance

Guest lothya

Guest lothya

This may seem like a shallow topic outside of a discussion of interview wear, but I've been thinking a lot lately about how doctors relate to patients/colleagues/public through their physical appearance.

I am a tall (over 6 feet) tends-to-butch lesbian who often sees women checking the sign on the bathroom door when they notice me as they walk in. Store clerks call me sir, and little kids always make me be the dad when they invite me to play :b

Like most of you, I dressed conservatively for my interview. I grew out my hair, put on makeup.... and felt like I was in drag for the whole affair. (anyone remember Ally Sheedy's character at the end of The Breakfast Club ? ;)

I also believe that it is part of a doctor's job to make people feel comfortable when they are sick and hurting. One of the things that makes people feel comfortable is the predictability of most doctor-patient interactions. Just knowing what to expect relieves a lot of anxiety for folks who are already scared, sick, or in pain.

I am feeling a lot of pressure to conform, look "normal" (whatever that is), and be a doctor my grandparents would feel immediately comfortable with.

On the other hand, I feel like I should just be myself, and continue to deal with the funny looks as I always have. After all, it's not just my grandparents who need doctors. There are a lot of trans- or gender-variant people who have an extremely difficult time finding good medical services. (Most gynecologists will not even see male patients for example).

How have the rest of you dealt with the dilemma of not looking like a popular picture of the "right" doctor? Have you taken out your piercings? Stopped wearing a visible indicator of your religious beliefs? Tried to hide a disability? Had to deal with being the only person of colour on an elective in an all-white rural community? Where have you drawn the line between "looking the part", and being authentic about where you come from and where you're going???

:\

Hey Lo,

I'm a straight male 35 year-old, so what do I know (?!), but in the long run I'd say be yourself. If it grates on you in any way to dress different than you feel, go with what feels right.

There's a certain decorum that the average patient should be able to expect (clean, neat, professiosnal) but who's to say that has to be conservative?

For my part, I wore two earrings to my interviews, and I intend to continue to wear 'em. Not as much of a statement as it used to be, of course (I can remember being the only guy in my High School to wear earrings).

I think your patients would prefer to be treated by you, rather than by some personification of the norm which ISN'T you.

At least I would.

Ciao!

B :evil

Guest 15Sacha

Hey Lothya and Nops,

I totally understand what you guys are saying. First of all, I think two earrings on a guy is totally cool. However, for me, the story is a bit different. I have two tatoos that I always feel I have to hide. I wouldn't let this show in an interview or while working on the wards. I haven't worn any tank tops or anything like that at school because I didn't want to be judged by my professors etc. I would like to be free, but I always feel like I will be penalized in some way or judged by my peers if I show my tatoos.

I get judged a lot by people for other reasons, but this is just an example. I like style and following trends, but there many times where I want to dress like a guy because I feel more comfortable. I think it comes down to you feeling comfortable with yourself. I personally am trying to break out of my shell and wear a tank top sometimes. Do you guys think that being a medical student and having a tattoo or nose ring is something that may make people not trust me or feel uncomfortable with me? Please be honest, because I do want to peirce my nose this summer. thanks guys!

There may be people who (at least initially) feel uncomfortable. As you deal with them, your professionalism should come through, though.

Aesthetically, I like a nose stud better ;) but I wouldn't look down on a doctor or be suspicious of her because of a tattoo or piercing.

As a patient (or parent of a little patient) I reserve judgement on the doctors (and nurses) I come into contact with, and base it on their professional merit, not appearances.

I would hope I am not in the minority in that regard.

As an aside, I can't see a professor holding it against you that you have a tattoo.

** to all of the above, I should add a caveat -- simply offensive or derogatory slogans as tattoos might prove a different story. But I would think anyone sporting those kinds of tattoos and claiming them as expressions of their inner selves might have trouble reconciling them with the beneficence a doctor should exemplify!

B :evil

Guest cutieyellow

I have a tattoo too (lower back) and i am lucky in that i placed it there so that it wouldn't be too visible. I didn't really think of it for medical school, but rather, just for myself, as i grow older and tired of it, or in occasions where i didn't want it to show (hence why my initial shoulder idea was quickly dismissed).

Recently however, i've been having thoughts of having another one on my ankle, a teensy little one but some of my colleagues here in school have been convincing me not to. They say that if i do have one, and end up in conferences, in the hospital or wherever, with the tattoo in full view, i will be judged for it, automatically, whether they are conscious of it or not. This judgement would be more by older doctors they said. Now... I am sitting on the fence on that one, as i feel that the tattoo that i would have visible wouldn't change in any way what kind of physician i will be. However, not everyone thinks like me. I guess that i can see how an old-fashioned patient, or an old fashioned doc can quickly judge me.

Anyhow, i have decided to refrain on the tattoo for now...

CY

Guest Jerika81

Hey Lothya,

I think in the long run you just have to be yourself, otherwise you won't enjoy your work as much as you should. I think lots of doctors have traits that patients may initially be a little uncomfortable with, but once they recognize that the doctor is good at what they do, they stop feeling uncomfortable, or if they don't, then they find another doctor. But better to have a few (and I imagine this would be a pretty small number) patients decide they don't want to be treated by you than to have to hide who you are in my opinion.

However, there are of course always standards that everyone just has to live with. I often feel like wearing jeans or trackpants to school, but if I'm going in to the hospital to see patients I just have to suck it up and wear something nice. So sometimes you just have to do things to make patients feel more comfortable.

As for whether or not to get a tattoo, I think that decision should really have more to do with whether you think you'll still be glad to have it when you're 30, 40, 50, ...regardless of whether your a doctor. Whenever I've thought about getting one in the past I think about how much my likes and dislikes change just from year to year, so I figure there's a very big chance that something I like now will be something I don't like in 10 years. Of course if it's something you know you won't change your opinion about then I say go for it. I'm planning on getting a small tattoo of a bird when I get married and lose my maiden name (which is Bird)- I figure I'll always want to have that connection to my family:). But you can bet I'll get it in a place that I can have covered if need be!

Guest Teemster

Hey,

I belong to a visible minority with respect to race and religion. Both have played an integral part in making me who I am today. I would not be able to live with myself if I chose to remove my religious emblem for the sake of an interview. We are lucky that we live in Canada...In many other countries, I would not be allowed an education (let alone a medical education) unless I capitulated my convictions. Incidentally, my interviewers told me that I stood out from the crowd, referring specifically to my religious identification. (Let's hope that I stood out in a positive way...)

Teemster

Guest UWOMED2005

I have a tattoo as well. But like Cutie yellow, it's in a spot where most people won't see it (unless it's a Tachycardia skit. . . :eek ,) at least not if I'm wearing scrubs. And I currently have highlights in my hear (as do a number of senior/junior residents, and even a consultant or two I've seen.)

There are a few guys I've known in med school who've worn their hair long, and a few nose rings.

But medicine still is a fairly conservative profession and you want your patients to have faith in your ability as a doctor. I don't think getting yourself a tatoo of flaming naked chick swallowing a sword on your forhead would help that much. But there's a huge line between that, and wearing a 3-button suit everywhere when it's not yourself.

Everyone has to decide for themselves where their line is.

Archived