Premed 101 Forums

salary of dr(med) vs dentist

Guest DM174

Guest MacStudent

Wondering if anyone else is worried by the fact that entertainers make way too much $$$ but people who go through years and years of training only make average $$$.

What does that say about our society?

$0.02

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest wattyjl

no, not really worried about it since nobody forces us to choose a career. money shouldn't be the motivating factor in choosing a career anyway, unless making piles of money is what makes you happy.

entertainers make money because people are willing to pay for them, supply and demand. are atheletes worth 10 million dollar contracts? are actors worth 10 million dollars a movie? well, we pay for them so i guess they are. While i consider myself *very* fortunate to be born and raised in Canada, there are certainly a lot of things about our society that are f'ed up. but for me, this one is way down the list.

i'd much rather society idolize actors and atheletes over physicians, since in medicine increased accountability should work to raise the quality of care (which is obviously more important than the quality of entertainment).

Guest tim23

keep in mind that for every athlete/entertainer that makes it big there are thousands that don't and get nothing

also I think this was mentioned before but if you want money go into business. Anyone talented/smart enough to make it into med/dent would probably do pretty well in the business world if they applied themselves... big business is running the economy to a large extent right now, its really easy for people with limited education/experience to make really high saleries by just having enough capital to invest (ie like owning a Tim Hortens)

my two cents

Tim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DrBadVibes

Alright, there should be no argument whether a dentist makes more than a doctor....you can ask any doctor this question, and they should honestly tell you that a dentist makes more money.....and thats for obvious reasons that have already been stated....the main one being that dental salaries are not capped.

But also which has already been mentioned, money should not be a factor in deciding a profession. There should be plenty of other factors involved.

For instance, I chose dentistry over medicine, mainly because of the lifestyle that dentistry affords me. Here was my breakdown:

(a) there are no residencies in dentistry. 4 years and you start working. The last thing I wanted to do was to be in my late 20s and to be working 80-100 hours per week in an intense residency program.....

(B) Autonomy!! I can do whatever I want...make my own hours, my own schedule that can revolve around my needs and my family The average dentist works 35 hours a week (usually 4 days)....that is just amazing to have this ability....Im able to spend more time with my family and spend more time taking vacations, and doing my own thing. I mainly love travelling and wanted a career where I could do that.

© there are no politics involved with dentistry. Medicine is always riddled with politics and politicians involved in your life and business. In dentistry, nobody bothers you and everyone leaves you alone.

(d) Money....in dentistry the sky is the limit with how much money you could make, which would enable me to be financially secure for the rest of my life. What more could I ask for?

So those are my main reasons.

This post was not at all to degrade the medical profession. I have the utmost respect for all the hardwork that goes into training for your profession. The fact that you guys have the ability to save lives is also a wonderful ability to have.

Both professions are great....just ask yourself what is most important for you.

Guest hizo1

I agree with badvibes, do whatever you think is rewarding and interesting, the money will be nice no matter what if you work hard and make smart invesments.

If it matters that much to your, your financial security in the long run will come from the investments and business decisions you make. There's a physician in town (London) who is close to retiring from a not so well compensated specialty. However, a friend of mine who's a family friend of his tells me he owns several fast food joints, a couple of office buildings, and other real estate in the city. Every year he's invited to Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway's shareholders meetings. Class A shares in this company go for 85,000 a pop. This despite the

Archived