Premed 101 Forums

Any nurses in med school

Guest jmmd

Guest jmmd

Hello there,

I'm new to this forum and I was just wondering if there were any former nurses presently attending medical school. If so, what school do you attend? and, do you find your past nursing experiences have helped you during med school?

Thanks,

JMMD :D

Guest Lorae

I wish I could have more to tell you, but I haven't started classes yet :)

From an application standpoint I think my experiences in nursing helped me in my interviews. Mostly because I was able to give a lot of really specific examples - especially in my ethical scenarios. Also, I have worked very closely with physicians for a long time - many have become role models and have helped me realize medicine is truly right for me. Although there are many careers other then nursing that would give similar insights to pre-med applicants I'm sure.

As far as studying in medical school, I'm pretty doubtful I'll have any advantage. We all come into medicine with our strengths and weaknesses. My basic science background is very minimal so if any of my classmates have a degree in biochemistry I'm going to need to lean on them at times. Hopefully I'll be able to return the favor and help them master ECG interpretation or something.

:)

Archived