Premed 101 Forums

*** The Saskatchewan Forum Quiz ***

Guest saskmedman

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest medicator007

Well I'm going to concede to Google on this one:

Apparantly the third PM to represent Prince Albert would be Sir Wilfred Laurier.... www.saskforestryexpo.com/area.shtml

Truth be told this is a total shock to me, if you look at his election record he never held a seat outside of Quebec from 1874-1917 so I don't know what the connection is!!!!

Anyone care to explain?

Medicator

Hi Medicator,

The conch is yours. The link below gives a pretty good summary of what Laurier did for SK. It looks like I was right with my original question. He did represent PA politically. ;) I'm off to write an exam and get all of the multiple choicy-ness out of my system.

www.archives.ca/04/042423_e.html

Guest medicator007

Hope your exam went well 007.... and now on with the quiz!

A little combination of music and history then shall we:

"Two recruiting sergeants came to the CLB.... when the pride of their city went marching away...the call came from London for the last July drive....the roll call next morning, just a handful survived "

The above excerpts are from a song by the Canadian band Great Big Sea and refer to an episode in history.

My question is this... to what famed military unit is the band referring to and what role has this unit been argued to have with respect to confederation?

Medicator

Edited to include name of band to make this a little easier

Guest UWOMED2005

It's the Newfoundland Regiment (aka the Blue Puttees.)

The song is referring to the Blue Puttees' charge at Beaumont-Harmel, which was on JULY 1ST, 1916. Same day as confederation. . . making it a day for remembering two tragedies in the eyes of some Newfoundlanders.

Which confederation are you referring to, the 4 province confed in 1867, or are you looking at things from the Newfoundland perspective where confederation would be 1949, when Canada joined the rest of Newfoundland?

Guest medicator007

Well done UWOMED2005!

I knew I could count on you to grab the conch on a canadian history question.

GBS was indeed referring to the Blue Puttees in their song `recruiting sergeant`... as you rightly pointed out they partook in the fateful charge at Beaumont-Harmel which essentially decimated their unit.

That the charge took place on Dominion Day is certainly one link to confederation. It has also been argued that in losing a significant portion of their young men with the Puttees the next generation of workers and leaders was drastically reduced, which might have contributed to Newfoundland`s entry into confederation... or so it has been argued by a prominent canadian military historian.

Conch is to you sir!

Medicator

Guest UWOMED2005

Considering the vote was 52%/48%, the loss of 800-900 odd men (and their progeny) could have had an impact from a shear voting standpoint.

My next question is threefold. I was impressed you remembered furnaceface, but I'll be even more impressed if you know this:

1) What Canadian group has an album entitled "Great American White Trash Novel"?

2) Who are the 3 members of the band?

3) Which Canadian Prime Minister is featured on the cover?

Bonus: How many and which songs on the album make reference to said Prime Minister?

Guest therealcrackers

This is what you do when you're on delivery room call at 7:30 at night when there's nothing on the board....

UPDATED STANDINGS, CURRENT AS OF 15 Dec 2003

Jerika81 12

Medicator007 12

therealcrackers 9

bearman14 8

Lactic Folly 7

CaesarCornelius 5

Saskmedman 4

blinknoodle 4

RageoftheDragon 3

UWOMEDS2005 3

PartyCal 2

Kernelhoover 2

QM6 2

Dr.Love 2

kosmo14 2

goku 2

007 2

summervirus 1

8York 1

Peachy 1

UTMed07 1

whosonfirst 1

pasoo 1

cheshirecat12 1

FrenchyMed 1

monkey 1

malsa 1

Guest medicator007

Ok i`ll give this one a shot after some creative googling :P

1) Craig Cardiff and his band recorded The Great American White Trash Novel

2) Ummm.... Craig Cardiff, Rose Cousins & Paul Mcinnis

3) It features the late Pierre Elliot Trudeau performing his classic Pirouette

Bonus: I havent the foggiest idea on this one, never heard of Craig Cardiff who seems really big in Ottawa... what kind of music does he play UWOMED2005....

Guest UWOMED2005

SO close. You've got one of the people in the band mixed up, and I'll help you out by saying it's Rose Cousins (she's just a friend of Craig's from Halifax, who I incidentally know from undergrad.) So you're one piece of trivia away from the conch.

The other hint I'll give you is that the third member of the band went to High School with my old roommate. That's how I know of the group - they crashed on our couches when they were touring Halifax, and we went out for (quite) a few ryes. I went to one of their shows mostly just because of the connection, but was completely blown away. They are quite good - a sort of Canadiana folk/rock fusion, best described as something like Dave Matthews and Tragically Hip getting together. They're originally from the K-W/Cambridge region, but Craig recently moved to Ottawa so that could explain the Ottawa connection.

So get that one last piece of info and the conch is yours. . .

Guest medicator007

The conch.. I wants it, my Precious....;) (Sorry brief ROTK sidestep)

Would Paul Mathew on Double Bass happen per chance to be the third member of the band im missing?

Medicator

PS... Just downloaded the song Stabilize, off the album in question, from his website and February... he's got a great sound... thanks for the music tip UWOMED2005 ;-)

Guest UWOMED2005

You got it. The conch is yours.

P.S. My two personal favourite tracks are "Pushed" and "Grandma" from his '97 album, "judy garland! (you're never home. . .) In particular, check out "Grandma" if you can. . . amazingly written song, very poignant, reminds me of my own grandmother.

P.P.S. I'm guessing from your fixation on Gollum that you've seen the new LOTR. How was it? I would have checked it out by now but I had a tonsillectomy on Monday and had slight bout with post-op aspiration pneumonia and atelectasis, and for 3 or 4 days the pneumonia and atelectasis were winning (my BP at one point: 87/35 :eek ). I get to go see LOTR tomorrow though. :)

Guest medicator007

Dude,

Sorry to hear about ur little one on one with aspiration pneumonia, hope you are feeling better and get to see LOTR soon.

Alas, for the first time ever McGill decided to institute a cumulative examination (USMLE style questions) after we are done basic sciences and before our clerkship. While it doesn't count for our records or dean's letter, and we are still promoted to the next period if we fail... I haven't been able to go see LOTR as of yet, gonna wait until after my exam tomorrow.

Now on with the trivia:

What is the oldest national history museum in Canada and why was it was built?

Happy Hunting,

Medicator

Guest UWOMED2005

I'm fine now, but my throat feels like someone reached in and ripped my tonsils and uvula out. Oh wait, that makes sense considering that is what the ENT surgeon did. . . :)

I currently believe codeine to be man's greatest creation.

As for your question, depends on your definition of National Historic Museum. The remains of the viking settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland has been around for 1000 years, so that will be my answer. How can you not call that a museum? And how can it not be the oldest? I can't think of any First Nations structure or relic that is older.

Unless you won't to call the Canadian Outdoors the "National History Museum of God." That's been around a lot longer. . .

The longest continuously open museum in Canada is the New Brunswick museum in St. John, which has been open since 1842. But it's not really national, and is certainly not as old as L'Anse aux Meadows. . .

Neither is McCord museum in Montreal, founded in property that belonged to McGill. . .

Guest medicator007

Oops... Pardon my typographical error.

I meant to write oldest Natural History Museum & why was it built?... which I define as a building that has been explicitly designated as a museum for the public display of Natural History.

Sorry for my error... but I'm glad you are feeling better!

Medicator

PS... I believe demerol may be man's greatest creation. (renal colic)

Guest UWOMED2005

Would it be the Canadian Natural History Museum in Ottawa, aka the old Museum of Man? (I used to check out the Dinosaurs there every other weekend when I was 5 or so!) The only one I can think of that could be older is the Nova Scotia Museum of Nature, and it looks nowhere near as old from the outside. . .

The Museum of Nature in Ottawa was built in 1905 to mirror the Centre block in appearance (which is directly opposite the museum on the other side of downtown if you follow metcalfe st), but the tower was taken down in 1915 because the building couldn't support the weight.

Guest medicator007

Sorry buddy 0/2...

The museum in question was built in the 19th century.... and while it has briefly closed to the public during its history... it is currently open and operating as a Natural History Museum, Albertasaurus and all :)

Medicator

Guest UWOMED2005

Albertosaurus, eh? Is that supposed to be a hint?

Well, the fossils in Dinosaur Provincial Park in Alberta have been around for about 65 million to 300 million years, if that's what you mean?

Of course, that's pre 18th century. . . unless you're talking about some reset calendar I don't know about that they used back then. :)

BTW - The Banff park museum claims to be the "oldest natural history in Western Canada," which leads me to believe there's an older museum in Eastern Canada. The museum's first collection was received in 1895. The current building was built in 1903 to house the museum.

Is that the building in Banff with the furry fish? If so, I seem to remember that place being more of a souvenir shop than a museum. . .

Guest medicator007

There is indeed an older natual history museum out east... the one I am referring to in my Question ;) I double checked to be sure but this museum definately predates 1895.

Sure it was a hint.... its a pretty Sweet Albetosaurus!!

Good Luck,

Medicator

PS... Just got back from ROTK, damn that was an incredible movie!

Guest justanotherpremed

2. Where was the first museum of natural history in Canada, opened in 1842?

The first museum of natural history was opened by Abraham Gesner at Saint John NB in 1842 when he put his mineral collection on display. :hat :smokin

Guest medicator007

Justanotherpremed,

That wasn't the answer I was looking for.... but that doesn't mean you are wrong... What is the name of the museum you are referring to? Is it currently operating? And do you have a reference?

Medicator

Guest medicator007

Well if this New Brunswick museum is indeed a Natural History museum then the conch is yours, its not the answer I was looking for but it does predate my museum... which I still believe is the oldest museum in Canada purely dedicated to natural history.... but i digress.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived