Premed 101 Forums

*** The Saskatchewan Forum Quiz ***

Guest saskmedman

Guest therealcrackers

To prevent this most excellent thread from dying, I offer up the following question for the conch.

What game did Robin Williams' character miss in Good Will Hunting because of something "about a girl"?

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest UWOMED2005

Game 6 of the 1975 World Series between the Cincinatti Reds and the Red Sox at Fenway - the one where Carlton Fisk hit a home run in the bottom of 12th inning to push the series to 7 games.

Yeah, that character was nuts. No woman is worth that.

Nor, I suppose, should they be worth running off to Portugal and miss the chance to see crackers' old roommate bust-a-move in Italy. Doh!;)

even though i'm really glad the conch has finally been passed on...i wonder what the answer medicator was working with. whenever u get back in, post us your answer! :)

Guest UWOMED2005

I'm a big fan of the lyrics thing. So Identify the following, song, artist, and album for the Conch.

"This is a song I wrote

After I heard about your accident

Wasn't sure if I could come by.

And all our angry words

Didn't hold much water

in the face of your pain

I said a night with Ani Di Franco,

The Rheostatics and Pierre Trudeau

A few beers should fix us up just right

And I'm feeling older than

Than I've ever felt

The Whole Span of my life"

Hint: those of you at U Waterloo who hang out at the Bomber have an inherent advantage on this one.

Guest medicator007

Hey guys,

Sorry for dropping the conch recently.. but between starting at the hospital, work and other life issues things have been a tad hectic. Thanks for picking it up!

As for my working answer:

Having done some research at this facility, I had always been under the impression that the Redpath Museum at McGill University was the oldest natural history museum in the country. The original question referred as well to the story behind it being built and this really is kind of cool. At the time Sir William Dawson was a world reknowned scientist affiliated with the university... he had made numerous fossil discoveries at Scoggins, and contributed greatly to our theories regarding colonization of the land by tetrapods. As a result he was being actively courted by several prominent US universities and was reported to be strongly considering taking part in ye olde brain drain. So...Sir Peter Redpath, owner of Redpath Sugar (hence the hint about the SWEET albertasaurus) agreed to donate a museum to the university for Dawson to display all of his fossils and collections.... in essence the "oldest" natural history museum in Canada was a bribe to prevent the loss of a great academic. And it worked.

The Redpath is still open today on campus and has a fabulous collection covering such topics as: biodiversity, paleontology, ethnology, mineralogy.....etc.... highlights amongst the kids i gave the occasional tour to were the dinosaurs and the mummy.

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest UWOMED2005

Ok, so maybe that one was a little too hard seeing as the lyrics for the song have never been posted anywhere.

Let's try this song. The author is a little more famous, so it should be easier to grab.

Maybe different

remember winter's warm there

you and I

Kissing whisky by the fire

with the snow outside

When the summer comes

the river swims at midnight

shiver cold

Touch the bottom you and I

with muddy toes

. . .

Wake up naked

drinking coffee

making plans

to change the world

While the world is changing us

Was good good love

You used to laugh under the covers

maybe not so often now

The way I used to laugh with you

was loud and hard

. . .

So what to do

with the rest of the days afternoons

Hey isn’t it strange

how we change everything we did

Did I do all that I should

That I could have done

Remember we used to dance and everyone wanted to be

you and me

I want to be too

What day is this? Besides the day you left

What day is this? Besides the day you went

So what do to with the rest of the days afternoons

Hey isn’t it strange

how we changed everything we did

Did I do all that I could

But just to make sure some smart aleck doesn't just punch the lyrics into google to get the song, you'll need to give me the following three items: a) song title, B) artist, and c) the lyrics that immediately follow the part where the drums kick in. To clarify that last bit, I want the full drum kit. . . not just cymbals or rattle.

To get this, you'll have to have actually listened to the song.

Guest saskmedman

Alas I have made my triumphant return!! Honestly, though, I can't believe this quiz thing is still going! You guys are amazing. Still the hottest topic on this entire forum. I wonder if this is some sort of longevity record or something. Anyway, I am abck and better then ever. AND, I also have the answer to uwomed2005's question. The song is called "Stay Or Leave" and it is by Dave Matthews. The answer to part 3 of the question is "Remember we used to dance and everyone wanted to be...." Can't stump me on this one, I LOVE Dave Matthews! I'll wait to see if I answered as UWOMED wanted before I ask my question. Is someone still keeping score...?

Here is the current tally, updated from therealcrackers count on Dec 15.

UPDATED STANDINGS, CURRENT AS OF 25 January 2004

Medicator007 13

Jerika81 12

therealcrackers 9

bearman14 8

Lactic Folly 7

CaesarCornelius 5

Saskmedman 5

blinknoodle 4

UWOMEDS2005 4

RageoftheDragon 3

PartyCal 2

Kernelhoover 2

QM6 2

Dr.Love 2

kosmo14 2

goku 2

007 2

summervirus 1

8York 1

Peachy 1

UTMed07 1

whosonfirst 1

pasoo 1

cheshirecat12 1

FrenchyMed 1

monkey 1

malsa 1

Plus, I’m not really sure who to give credit to for the oldest national history museum question.

Guest saskmedman

Ok guys, it's nice to have the conch again after so long. I have to use this opportunity well, so hopefully this one will stump you all. Here it is:

A standard one of these is 5 to 10 centimetres wide and roughly 3 kilometres long and kills thousands every year. What is it?

Good luck gang. Hopefully this isn't googleable!

Rod "Saskmedman"

now in JURSI :o

Guest UWOMED2005

Swedeboy's right, isn't he? Great question. It should have been so obvious I can't believe the rest of us didn't get it.

Nice work swedeboy. That was some smart thinking.

Guest UWOMED2005

No worries, of course. Here's another one:

What is the only mood stabilizer whose side effect profile does NOT include weight gain.

(can you tell which rotation I am currently on?)

yeah, I guess anyone can answer this one.

Archived