Premed 101 Forums

in for the long haul

Guest siobhansiobhan

Guest siobhansiobhan

Hi Guys -

So, here we are in late April 06. Some of us will be in to school this cycle and some won't. This year was a step ahead again. The first year applying was fresh into the process, no sciences, applying to mcmaster. the second year i had the basic prereqs, no mcat, applied to mac and nosm. last summer, got an awesome mcat, didn't realize i could have a chance at uofa, but at least i got two interviews in the states. the ubc formula doesn't know how to pick my key words, i think! once again, the outlier gets eliminated. Anyways, DON"T GIVE UP. That's what i'm saying to myself - i'm getting closer each year, and i think if it's not this year, i'll be in for next year. i'm slowly learning how to present myself in the narrow focus that is the medical profession, and when i get in, the outlier can sproing out of the box again!

This truly is a long haul for some of us, and I want to give hope. Sometimes this 'realism' that gets posted is a little dismaying - i.e. when will some folks just figure out that meds is not for them. well, meds NEEDS the outliers. So STRUGGLE. Yes, i am talking to myself, but i'm sure others out there will know that i'm talking about.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest siobhansiobhan

I tried looking up this list from a long time ago of schools that acc

breaking news - found it - follow this link:

forums.studentdoctor.net/...ge=3&pp=25

Basic list: the asterisk means that from collective experience, folks on the sdn message board know of these schools that interview canadians.

What I did was looked at a copy of the MSAR (available for purchase on aamc website or in school/reference libraries) which give the stats of accepted students, cost, admissions deadlines etc and i looked up each of the asterisked schools to see which were best for me.

Do that! And do that soon. If you have an mcat score now or coming out soon, get your aamc application in as soon as possible. the states works on rolling admissions, so they start looking at aps in june, inviting for interviews early fall, and even accepting shortly after that.

All the best.

Albany *

Baylor

Boston Univ.

Case Western

Columbia*

Creighton

Dartmouth*

Duke University *

Einstein *

Emory

Finch/Chicago Medical School*

Georgetown*

George Washington *

Harvard*

Hawaii

Hopkins*

Howard

Indiana

Jefferson *

Keck (USC)

Loma Linda

Maryland

MCW (Medical College of Wisconsin)*

Meharry*

Michigan State University-CHM*

Mt. Sinai *

Northwestern*

NYMC*

Ohio State *

Penn State *

Saint Louis

Stanford

SUNY - Syracuse (Upstate Medical University)*

Rush

Tufts *

Tulane *

Univ of Chicago--Pritzker

UCLA

UCSF

University of Connecticut*

University of Washington (MD/PhD ONLY)

University of Pennsylvania

Vanderbilt *

Vermont*

Virginia

Virginia Commonwealth University

Wake Forest *

Washington Univeristy (St. Louis) *

Wayne State *

Weill Medical School (Cornell)

Yale University*

For private schools,

NO MCP in Philly

NO Rochester (unless you have gone there for undergrad)

Aid:

Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Yale

Scholarships:

CWRU, Wash U in St. Louis

Tuition break (for Canadians only?):

UCONN, in-state tuition starting 2nd year of med school

Guest siobhansiobhan

Actually, better print this out for myself for this year, in case i don't get off that waitlist i'm on...

heck, i'm finally on a waitlist :)

only direction is UP

well, actually, now there is DOWN too :)

finally...

Archived