Premed 101 Forums

early admission to med!?

Guest vincecarterxv

Guest vincecarterxv

A few weeks back, I was speaking to a few volunteers at the local hospital, and one of them told me that their best friend got into UBC medical school and how they were celebrating with their family. It didn't really bother me all that much, I am waiting to here back, and I was told that they are supposed to tell everyone in mid may. But my fellow volunteers looked at me and told me that my "time will come" as if to make me feel better, but I was ready to tell that person that they must have made a mistake... is it possible for a select few to get into UBC med early, and the majority later?? wait, i know that it's "possible"... is it true? anyone heard of this?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I believe that some of the MD/PhD applicants who are successful are notified a little earlier; at least, that was the case last year. As to MD applicants, I don't think so.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest wannabedoc

Hi Guys.

If you look on the UBC webpage, they make it pretty clear what is happening. The admission committee meets to make their final decisions on May 6, 7, & 8, and offers, waitlist letters, and letters of regret are all mailed out approx. 2 weeks later. As for MD/PhD, I have no idea, but it seems reasonable that their offers might come out at a different time.

So don't make life miserable for yourself for the next month and a half by stalking your mailman! I'm definately not expecting to hear until mid-late May.

cheers!

Guest pokadot42

My interviewer told me that the applicants at the very top (I can't remember how many she said) were granted admission right away..and the rest were discussed at this weekend forum coming up. But I don't know if that means that they would also be notified right away..I wouldn't think so..but who knows?

At any rate, I'm not expecting to hear from quite some time.

Guest me maniac

I am also not expecting to hear back until end of May because, as the web site for UBC states, they will not contact us until the end of May or so. However, I just checked out the dates for May 6,7, & 8th on a calendar. They are in the middle of the week. If I am not mistaken, somebody once told me that they have a "marathon meeeting" that lasts all weekend. Having the marathon meeting in the middle of the week may not be possible as some of the adcom members also hold down "regular" jobs. Maybe those dates are not correct?

AFA early admission goes.... I sure wish this were true.... but I have never heard of it before (which doesn't mean it's not true or not). Vincecartervx, maybe you could ask the fellow that got the early admission if you know him/her?

me

Guest canstowski

apparently, my family friend's daughter was offered early addmision to medicine two years ago and she got it in early april. This stuff could be real :rolleyes

I could care less though if there IS an early addmision or not...same goes to you guys too. If you are in, you are in, if you are not, you are not...quit checking out how other's are doing!! >:

Guest Pucca81

I personally know two people who got accepted in early April "three" years ago (MD applicants, not MD/PhD). But, in recent years, haven't heard of any cases of early admissions. As Cantowski said I don't think there's any point in worrying. There are lots of conflicting stories - even my two interviewers told me two different things: the first interviewer said to me at the end of the interview "You will hear back from us in April" while the second one said, "NO ONE will hear before the three day retreat of ad.com members takes place" so there~! Let's all chillax, shall we? ;)

Archived