Premed 101 Forums

plans for next year

Guest Tara191

Guest Tara191

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know if there are any research positions within the faculty of medicine that doesn't involve lab work? I've done quite a bit of lab work already and was hoping to find something more clinical in like Family Medicine. However, I've recently graduated and do not have any post-grad work (say a PhD or Masters). Am I being too ambitious in hoping to try and get such a position?

Thanks much,

Tara

Guest Ian Wong

Hi Tara,

I'm sure there's lots of agencies within UBC Medicine that would love to have an extra hand for clinical research. Unfortunately, as you've already discovered, it's not easy to find out who or where these positions are available.

Here's a couple sites that may help get you started.

www.med.ubc.ca/electives/tch_home.htm

This is a link to our electives website, which deals more with placing medical students into clinical work. However, under both the HEALTH CARE AND EPIDEMIOLOGY link, and the CURRENT RESEARCH, you may be able to find some positions available. One hitch is that these guys may be quite busy, so you should contact them well in advance of when you want to start. The second issue will be funding; I'm not sure how much, if any, salary you can expect from taking one of these positions.

www.healthcare.ubc.ca/

Here's a link to the UBC Department of Health Care and Epidemiology. This is one area where the research can be as clinical as you want to take it. I do not know who you would contact to try to get involved with these guys, but perhaps you can poke around their website and maybe send a few emails. Best of luck!

Ian

Guest soapyslicer

Hi Tara191,

Another way to go is to simply go to labs around UBC. Many labs hire tec's who are often students with a BSc and want to look at research. I would go online and look at each of the departments labs to see what you are interested in. Sometimes you can simply volunteer to work and get great experiences in exchange. Be very careful however as sometimes you end up doing nothing more that cleaning glassware. Make sure the faculty member is open to you getting a wide variety of experiences.

In my case it started as a directed studies course and ended in a MSc so you never know where your experience will take you.

soapy

Archived