Premed 101 Forums

Biological Sciences at UBC

Guest EMHC

Guest EMHC

Hi, I was wondering if there was anyone who applied to UWO from UBC? What Biological Science courses did you take to satisfy the full year with lab pre-req for the Biological Sciences portion?

EMHC

Guest mitchie41

I think that you can take Biol 112\121 as your full year course credit. But as for the lab, I think that UWO would only require you to take biol 140, because NO major at UBC other than Biology requires a second-year bio lab. So, Biol 140 is probably equivalent to most other first year general bio labs at other institutions.

But, you should just email or call the UWO admissions office and ask them.

Guest xanth

I called UWO last year about the biological sciences requirement. I know that UBC requirements have changed, but they told me Biol 112 and Biol 200 would do it. (FYI I entered UBC in 1998 and Biol 200 was a requirement for MICB grads)

Guest EMHC

Xanth:

I just checked the course schedule with regards to Biol. 112 and 200. These courses contain only a Tutorial section that lasts for 1 hour per week. Is that what UWO considers as the lab?

EMHC

Guest physiology

Hey,

That's a really good question. You're right - biol 200 NO LONGER offers a lab. What they have in place is a tutorial, that is no where near a lab.

You do a research project, and do exercises from this tutorial notebook.

I don't think that biol 140 would satisfy a full-year credit of biology labs because it's every week for half a year.

Guest physiology

I have biol 140, no bio labs whatsever for 2nd year, and I'll be taking pharmacology and biochemistry labs in September.

I'm in pharmacology now, so my name is somewhat of a misnomer.

Physiology

so with the pharmo and biochem lab that you'll be taking it will satisfy UWO's requirements right?

Can a non-biochem or non-pharmo, person take the lab course that you're talking about?

Is there ALOT of stuff (I'm not worrying about the work load but would like to know how much I should be expecting)? I remember reading on the calendar that you have be a science major to get in, is that true?

EMHC

Guest mitchie41

Hi again,

The biochem lab you wanna take is 301. This course is restricted for biochem, biophys, pharm, and physiology students only.

The Pharmacology lab is PCTH 302, and it's restricted to Pharmacology students only.

I highly doubt that any of the courses would let you in if you were an arts major, unless you were picking up a science minor--But check to be sure.

Also, I don't see the point in you taking these labs when all you need is a first year bio lab for UWO. You can probably fulfill the requirement by taking Biol 140, since it runs for a 3-hour sesstion every week for a semester(as opposed to 3-hours every other week for a full year at other school). But again, I would called UWO first before making any decisions as to which courses you're going to register for next year.

Hello

Actually I'm doing a commerce major. With regards to the Biol 140 lab. it's 3 hr/week and only for 1 term. Do you know if there is something like this to fulfill the other term?

EMHC

Guest mitchie41

Uhh....if you REALLY wanted to take another course like biol 140, you could take biol 240.

it's the second year continuation to biol 140. All biology and immumnology\microbio majors need to take it, but anyone can register for it.

Guest physiology

Hello EHMC,

I think so, I've looked at the labs, and we get surgical type experience with animals, so I think it's good enough to satisfy Western's requirements. I'll email and check.

You can only take the pharmacology lab if you're a PCTH major/honours. In the event that that pharmacology doesn't fill its quota of 18 spots, then maybe they'd let someone take the lab. But they pretty much ALWAYS fill the 18 spots.

The bioc lab, like Mitchie said, you can take with permission. Although you probably won't be able to register online. You'll have to call in and do it that way.

If you're looking towards micb, the third year labs would satisfy the bio requirement probably.

Thanks for the reply physiology. I've emailed UWO as well and patiently waiting for a reply|I .

Pharmacology's a great program I hear...really hard to get in too:D

Cheers

physiology is great too. 80%+ to get in. and it's an honors degree:eek

that was a compliment to physiology who got into pharmacology:smokin

Guest physiology

I was rejected by physiology but accepted by pharmacology.

Funny how we're in opposite boats eh Canstowski?

Thanks EMHC for emailing UWO. Now I don't have to :)

But if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I'd say pharmacology and physiology have similar averages you have to attain for acceptance. PCTH usually wantS between 80 and 85 (like physiology), but it fluctuates every year due to trends in grades, etc.

Also, pharmacology isn't only based on grades - there's an interview component as well. Physiology is - but again, both programs are great.

Guest canstowski

haha! really?!

Weird eh? since both programs have almost exact pre-reqs and ppl getting into those programs have similar GPA.

Guest mitchie41

hey physiology,

do you find the pharmacology programme to be very competitive once you're in? What are the class averages like?

Because all 15-18 people who enter pharmacology probably have 80%+ averages.

Guest physiology

Hello Mitchie41 and EMHC and Canstowski

Canstowski - how's ol' PCTH and PHYL rivalry? I heard it's especially evident in the PHYL 303 lab you both have to take.

Do you know Tr and Bj (those are the two first initials of their names and they're going into 4th year)?

I'll hunt ya down when we have our life science exhibitions or whatever..Our poster board will be better than physiology's :)

Mitchie41 - I know two others who have gotten in; and yes, I expect it to be very competitive, but at the same time, very supportive. I mean there's only 18 of us, and we'll be seeing a lot of one another.

Most of us are med bound, so we're doing the same thing in terms of volunteering, etc.

Class averages? Hmm....I was talking to the advisor and there's a third year class, PCTH 300, which is meant for pharmacology students and PCTH 305, which is meant for others. HOWEVER, the classes are IDENTICAL and we share the same lecture hall and lecturers..everything. The pharmacology students tend to fair better than the others, because this is our field of interest and the lab probably gives us some practical experience, making the material more fun to learn and more relevant (analogous to PHYL students taking PHYL 301, and PHYL 303, the lab).

I'm not sure what the class averages are. But my friend who got into PHYL and then med, said one of her 4th year PHYL classes had an 87% average.

Guest mitchie41

Hey Physiology.

I think I know one of the people you were talking about in physiology: The one you referred to as "Tr" in your message.

ahhah.

Archived