Premed 101 Forums

TA'ing Undergrad

Guest UBC student

Guest UBC student

Is it common for an undergrad to become a TA? I've just finished second year and I was offered a TA position for a second year math class. The workload seems pretty hectic around the midterm times (up to 30hours a week~!~! and three midterms in a semester) I'll be taking full course load with two labs so I don't know if it's worth risking my gpa.

Has anyone TA'ed while taking full course load in their undergrad?

I don't know what to do~~ Please please help~ All advice are welcomed...Thank you guys~

Guest peachy

I'm not at UBC, but I TA'd through most of my undergrad. I took a full courseload every year. The nice thing about grading is that the hours are generally flexible, and the bad thing is that the workload tends to get heavy at the same time as your own workload gets heavy - you need to mark their midterms at the same time that your courses have midterms, like you said.

I think it's important to be careful about the number of hours that you take on, but I generally enjoyed it and it was decent money. But the decision to TA is not any different from the decision to take any other part-time job - you have to be willing to give up a substantial amount of your time to learn some skills and make some money.

Guest kellyl20

My sibling TA after their 1st yr of undergraduate @ UBC and did it for undergraduate yr 2 and yr 3 and then went onto med school. It was ok for them. Enjoyed teaching I guess, as they are teaching the Org Chem for the Mcat prep course.

Guest obviouslysogood

Hi, I have been an UTA in UBC math for 2 years. The max workload per week in UBC is 12hr. THerefore, it is not possible to work 30hr/week. For the jobs I have done. being a workshop facilitator in Math 180 is the best job for me. Unless you need some financial support, otherwise I don't suggest anyone be marks. Last but not least, never work in the stinky tutorial center; it really sucks.

Archived