Premed 101 Forums

ZERO for Aboriginal/rural experience

Guest physiology

Guest physiology

For city-dwelling urbanites, I think this category will be difficult to get high marks in. What do you think?

I know of a few organizations in the DTES that have First Nations clients, but with all the other volunteering that I do, it'd be hard to fit any more into my schedule.

And I don't volunteer for the sake of getting into med school. I go into an organization knowing fully well why I want to be there (I owe them at least that).

As for rural experience, I have none. Do you think this category will be like the "area of human excellence in any endeavor" one? Difficult to score well in?

Guest mitchie41

Yes...You're right. This category will most likely be REALLY difficult to score well in. But even if you don't score that well in it, I don't think it's going to go against you that much.

Like you said in your previous message, it's really difficult to get a high mark in this section if you're an unbanite, and I think they'll take that into consideration(at least I hope they will).

Guest physiology

in all likelihood, probably yes...

I'm going into third year, so I know I"ll be rejected, but I'm crossing my fingers for an interview...That's all I want for this year!

Guest canstowski

Don't worry, i have NOTHING under these catergories too. There is not enough time for me to do anything about it either. Besides, i think these catergories only look good if you opted for the "nothern BC or island program". One can only assume....

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

With respect to opting for the rural BC programs, that option is given only post-application assessment, no? I thought that I read, on the UBC admissions website, that the question you are asked to answer on the application regarding your preferred educational location was for survey purposes only?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest mitchie41

Hey Physiology,

I hope to apply during my third year too.

But I feel that i'll get rejected as well, becuase so few people acctually get accepted out of third year!!!

Does anyone know why so few third years are able to gain admission to UBC??

--mitchie41

Guest monksters

I think they don't expect everyone to fullfill every category. The application would probably be stronger if that was the case but everyone has different things to offer. And perhaps some other activities we don't normally think of as rural experience such as Camping could be used as such too;)

Guest monksters

I was half joking with the camping. You are right, camping is probably stretching it a bit far :rollin ... I think generally rural experience usually points to a community. But an understanding of rural life might be gained by other activities too. Tree planting or working on a farm might be some examples. I agree though that it would be a tough spot to fill for city dwellers.

Archived