Premed 101 Forums

UBC CARMS match = POLITICKEY

Guest physiology

Guest physiology

I was talking to a resident today and she mentioned that most of the class was able to predict who would get the really competitive specialties such as ENT and urology in the 2003 match.

It pretty much always goes to the MALES who are athletic and very outgoing, and know how to suck up to the "mens' clubs" consisting of the established MDs that select applicants. Apparently, year after year it's the same type of guy getting into these residencies.

I mean what's the point of having a national matching service when all the super competitive specialties go to UBC students anyway? I mean honestly, barring an absolutely STELLAR month long elective at VGH and multitudes of published papers in that area of interest, what chance does a UT med grad have at UBC in ophtho, derm, ENT, or urology?

And what's the point of even matching at UBC when you know who's gonna get it?

Are there any plans in the future to reform CARMS and make it less subjective and more based on the actual merits of the actual applicant?

Guest physiology

Interesting eh?

Well, once you get into med school, then you have to worry about CARMs...which is even worse I'm told.

Anyway...med school still sounds cool.

Guest mitchie41

Well, knowing that these specialties like ENT, Opthal, Derm. are ULTRA COMPETITIVE regardless of whether or not it's at UBC, I would hope that all the applicants that are considering specializing in these fields apply to other schools(or else they're gonna be stuck jobless for a year), if they're so sure about not matching at UBC.

Anyways, this doesn't change my mind about wanting to go into medicine at UBC.

--Mitchie41

Guest physiology

I tend to agree - I think when "goodlooking" people who have a good smile and a firm handshake, enter the room, they have a certain aura and presence.

So perhaps the interview gets off on the right foot to begin with?

Although - I'm not that superficial. Content counts more than the physical appearance. Also, I think the advantage also goes to people who speak English as their native language (ie. no accent).

Physiology

I heard a lot of rumours about UBC setting quotas for certain ethnic groups, most notably for Asians. I really hope that it's just a rumour spread by disgruntled applicants but my doctor actually confirmed this recently. He said some years back, when the admission process was more objective and academically based, over half the class was made up of Asians so they decided to make some "adjustments". Maybe this bias extends into CARMS as well?

Guest vincecarterxv

Just like in many other facets of life, there should be some sort of accountability. I think there needs to be some sort of measure in place that makes sure the right people are selected for the job (a committee that looks after a committee/CARMS).

Furthermore, being a doc is about relating to people as much as it is being competent. Patients spill there guts out to their physicians, and if a doc is a nerd then the patients will feel alienated. That's where a little bit of charm, charisma, aura, whatever you want to call it, can be important.

As far as the quotas, I have heard a lot of things about UBC being bias; but, be careful, there are a lot of myths out there (such as your major is important for getting into med school).

Guest vincecarterxv

LASTLY, kellyl20, "...tall, FAIR, and handsome wins hands down..." Are we still living in the early 20th century? Fair skin? How does light skin colour translate into being handsome? Please explain? Dark skin, light skin<--it's all beautiful to me.

You've got a point there vincecartervx.

But, if some "adjustments" as quoted by Jazz, has come into play, then this can really be a factor in getting into the really competitive specialties. Agree?

I remember reading on one of the threads in the General Premed Forum, about race being a factor in who gets into med school and who don't. Then again, remember that myths like such are usually generated by sour grapes who don't get in.

Moderaters: Need your opinion, please. Have you ever encountered race as being a factor in getting accepted into med school or getting into recidency?

Personally, I have strong faith in UBC's system and as they have stated on their web site, race, religion, gender, etc...are not factors in considering an applicant for admission. As for CaRMS, well, I haven't read anything like that on their web site so, physiology and others who agree, you may be right.

EMHC

There is no such a thing as an accountable system. When people decide to make rules/laws/regulations, this signifies the presence of disorders in society. There is nothing you can do to prevent disorders. With the first rule being set, people can choose to conform to it, add more to it, break it, or modify it all the times. Rules simply create more disorders to society, because it can cause disagreements, disputes, and eventually wars. Every one believes his own rule is good, while others are &*$%. In order to appease every one, people negotiate. That means they make changes to the exisiting rule to make it less unpleasant. Still not perfect.

If the society were at peace, there wouldn't be any rules and thus no one could break it.

This is my philosophy, or the so-called "politics" using political science jagon, or the so-called "religion" using the church jagon. Some one believes in God, but this is what I believe, so be it my religion.

If I told this or something similar to the interviewers during the interview, I would have very high chance not getting in. But hey, that's my religion. How could they discriminate my religion??!!

Believe it or not. All the wars since the human history begins are all due to religious conflicts.

So, don't waste your time thinking about the issues of race, religion, gender, physical appearance,...etc. They're very common everywhere. Just be yourself. If you can't get into a particular residency, maybe that will open another better door for you instead. I think I've wasted too much time here. :rollin

Society is changing all the time. Maybe in the future, there won't be any doctors, but computers. It's a computer era.

Guest physiology

On the UBC website, it says that they do not base offers of admission on gender, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation...etc. I don't see why they'd pick otherwise. I mean racial quotas exist in the States -it's called affirmative action. Asians do not fall under the same category as blacks and Hispanics, because they, in general, do not represent a marginalized population. However, there are still quotas in existence at Berkeley and other public UC campuses.

Anyway, I mean, if we are all really color blind, the skin colour of your doctor doesn't matter. What matters is their ability to communicate articulately, relate well to their patients, and have a high degree of empathy for all patients.

This is such a tough issue - what's more, if you get rejected and you're a minority, I'd hate to fall into that trap of "Ohh..I didn't get in cuz I'm _______<insert race or skin colour>" That just leads to bitterness, hatred, and an incessant disdain for UBC.

Guest not rex morgan

Just got back from holiday. This process of disecting admissions processes based on urban legends is, quite frankly, a waste of your time. As mentioned people assume they didn't get in because they are _____. I have heard this Asian quota from another doc, but she was a raving racist, so I wouldn't put too much stock in the rumor.

Yes when you apply for CARMS you can apply all over Canada, and you interview all over Canada, and most people do. Of interest, 13 people from the class of 2003 did not match first round, and many were applying to Internal Med, all over Canada.

Archived