Premed 101 Forums

Application: Self-Reliance section(non-academic experiences)

Guest summerfuntimes

Guest summerfuntimes

Hi all,

In the UBC non-academic experiences portion of the online application, there this heading: "Experiences Showing Self-Reliance (independence, decision-making, maturity, facing adversity)"

Does anyone have any insight into this category? To me it seems as if we go through much of life making decisions.

Does anyone have any examples to shed some light on what we should indicate under this heading?

Good luck with applications!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

A couple of examples of activities that could forseeably be slotted under that category: starting and running your own business; moving to and living in another country on your own for a while; having a family. :)

There are plenty more examples, I'm sure.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi,

I'm a bit stumped by this section as well. I'm thinking of using my 4 month long Europe trip as an example. I know there's a separate section for travel, but I have another couple of trips that can go in there. I think the Europe trip works because it involved saving money, lots of planning, challenging situations (people not speaking English), etc.

Anyone have a comment on if this is a good example, or want to share what they are using?

What about the rural/aboriginal experience. I'm a life-long city girl, and have ZERO to put here, but I don't want to leave it blank. Will this category be used for non-academic points or just for determining who to accept for the Northern and Island programs?

Guest summerfuntimes

yes, i have nothing for rural/aboriginal experience as well... i wonder if it is bad if we leave some headings blank. I've emailed the admissions people a few weeks ago, but they must be busy since they haven't replied. Does anyone know of a phone number to call where they actually pick up?

thanks

Guest monksters

Hi Summerfuntimes,

I haven't had this category on my application in the past but according to the title, 'Self Reliance' I would think that it would include stuff like 'managing a small business' or 'living in a foriegn country for an extended period'. But I agree that the category is rather vague. I think you are on the right track by calling them to ask them directly. Good luck!

Do you figure something as simple as "paying your own way through undergrad via a part-time job" would qualify as showing self-reliance? How about "dressing oneself every morning?"

Honestly, at age 21, what do they expect from someone who's been going to school his whole life?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Apna,

Your first example demonstrates self-reliance and distinguishes you from those who did not hold any sort of a job during university, certainly; the second, that may not be as effective a distinguishing factor. ;)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest McCarey007

Hmm...I look at this category for experiences that show your maturity and how you have used this to overcome obstacles. But yeah...it seems like a shot in the dark to grasp what they want.

Guest McCarey007

Whoa..I didn't realize that there is so much room to fill out the extra-curriculars for UBC. I'm so used to keeping my descriptions very short for other applications. But for UBC, there's so much room, I don't think I can even fill up their 3 pages, not that I need to or anything. :eek

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Relative to its paper predecessor, UBC's electronic application's non-academic section has remained about the same, in terms of size. If you managed to fill in all the sections of the paper application using an 8-point font, then you may find you'll have a wee bit more room on the electronic iteration, but not too much more. :)

(By the way, don't you guys find that time is flying with a solid rocket booster attached: we have just over two weeks until the application's due, and still, my essay is in a shambles--eeep. :eek )

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest McCarey007

Wow! Size 8 font on the paper application?? I used size 10 or 11 last year. Can't remember. I was so fearful that anything smaller would be too small for them to read it. I figure there was probably some lady in her 40s or 50s going through our EC lists, and I didn't want her to throw my application out because she couldn't read it. Oh yeah..I didn't want her to suffer either :P

mccarey

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I checked with the office regarding font sizes last year and it was they who suggested the 8-point size! This is in contrast to the previous year when I hand wrote the application--blech! In any case, using 8-point Arial seemed quite readable on paper--none of those Times New Roman seraphs fruiting things up. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived