Premed 101 Forums

Question about teenage abortions

Guest ssup

I have my interview tomorrow and was wondering if anyone can offer suggestions on how to deal with the teenager abortion scenario. For all who do not know, this is the scenario I'm talking about:

You have a teenage girl who wants an abortion but does not want her parents to be involved or for them to find out. What do you do?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the legal stance for this issue would be?

Guest physiology

My friend got a question strangely reminiscent of yours:

"A 23 yo bioc. student approaches you and she wants to have an abortion. What advice would you give her?"

Anyway, just take a stance, and stick to it. Nothing worse than being wishy-washy in your interview.

But that's easier said than done - when I'm nervous, I just take an extra second to think about what I'm saying, so I don't have to retract any statements or apologize for what I have to say.

When I'm nervous, I have like a thousand simultaneous thoughts going through my head, and I've found myself in situations where I've said things I didn't intend to say.

Guest not rex morgan

legally, she can have an abortion without parental concent. Physician standard of care is not to show your opinion on the subject either way. Ie, if you are pro-choice or pro-life, you cannot put the patient in such a position she feels influenced either way. It's up to you how you want to deal with this.

thanks not rex morgan...

I have to ask the legal stance on one more issue:

If you have a patient that does not require an operation but requests it on preventative grounds (eg.I want my appendix removed to eliminate the chance of appendicitis), what would a physician do?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

The physician has the privilege of deciding whether or not they wish to perform a certain treatment (this falls under the ethical principle of justice, relating to the range of treatment that a patient can expect to receive from their physician, or conversely, the range of treatment that a physician will offer). Therefore, if a physician is not comfortable putting the patient at risk (due to anaesthetic, etc.) to remove a good natured appendix since the procedure and outcome may confer more risk and harm than benefit, then it may be acceptable to refuse treatment on those grounds.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived