Premed 101 Forums

HELP in understanding rejection letter

Guest Sad guy

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again Sad guy,

Great job on being diligent with the appeal and having the tenacity to go through with it so quickly--good characteristics of a doctor-to-be! Even if it doesn't uncover the ultimate outcome (an acceptance) hopefully it will generate the release of additional information that will lead to some peace of mind.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest ubcdent

I was just curious if in the explanation for rejection they still give you a score for extra-curricular. Friends of mine who got rejected were always able to find there EC score and to me it was this score that really determined if you got in.

You've got to understand that with the hundreds of interviews they give out and the massive talent pool out there that way more than 128 people have grades and interview scores within your same range. Some get in with lower grades some get in with higher grades and vica versa.

Your application seems right up there but its still right up there with way more than 128 people even if some of them have slightly lower scores you still are relatively similar to each other. Therefore, it really comes down to either a crapshoot or probably your life experiences /EC activities. And whether or not the admission committee on that given day thinks you're what they need.

Try to find out your EC score because they do give an actual number out of I think 25. My friend got his score the last two years after getting denied.

Guest Thewonderer

Did I just hear my name pop up some where on this thread before? :)

I am curious as to where "Useful info" (the poster) got his info. I am not doubting what he says because my friends' experience fit his theory. And I also saw his post on the other thread. But if he is indeed right, then maybe Ian would get the urge to tackle him as well.

There is nothing much I can say. I don't like to offer "advice" per se on how to improve one's application because no one REALLY knows how good one's application is or how each part of the application turns out to be. Plus, admissions is done behind close doors.

So offering advice in this instance is like a blind man leading another blind man in getting out of a maze.

But what I can say is that never ever take a rejection personally. My friends were rejected from UBC med but other med schools accepted them. They found them to have the potential to become truly competent and compassionate physicians. A single rejection from UBC med does not suggest that you won't be a good physician (or that you cannot talk well or are not good academically). It does not suggest how much your true "worth" is. You might be the gem that many other schools want. So keep your head up and talk to UBC med if you think that you deserve to be accepted. You should be confident about yourself. And if UBC med does not appreciate you, apply elsewhere next year and see if they agree with UBC med or not.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest maniac

Sad guy,

How is the appeal thing going? Have you heard back from anyone yet? I am still interested in knowing what's going on to see if it worth appealling.

Maniac

• 3 weeks later...
Guest helmet33

I suspect that either the fac of med tells everyone that they are the only one appealing(as they have me) or he has not appealed. One of the things that I would suggest you so is go the the office and ask for a 'freedom of info form' for your file, fill it in and hand it right back in. They have 30 days to fill the request and if you decided to appeal you would want to file an appeal before July 15th. The cuttoff for the August 15th meeting is July 15th. Don't worry about getting a black mark beside your name for next year, it is your right to have that information. As well, when you reapply next year you will have excellent detail about where your weakness were this year, not just the editorialized version. Another option is talking to the Advocate at the Advocates office in the SUB. They may be able to guide you about your file.

Hope that helps,

helmet33

Archived