Premed 101 Forums

Textbooks

Guest Lancet

Guest Lancet

Hey Ian,

Just some quick questions about textbooks. Is it better to wait until the used textbook sale to buy books, or is it better to get them earlier to be sure they don't run out at the bookstore?

Also, do we really need to buy every book on the list? For example, PRIN 401 lists 7 required texts and 6 recommended!!! This would cost at least $700 for the required texts alone!

Finally, what about the equipment? eg. diagnostic set, stethoscope, etc.

Any advice would help.

Thanks

Guest Ian Wong

No no no.

Don't buy anything right now. I was in the VGH area for most of the past four weeks (I'm back in Victoria now), and through some of my class-mates learned that many of the incoming students had already started shopping at the VGH Bookstore. One person in your class apparently was freaking out about the fact that it would cost well over $1500-$2000 if you bought all the books.

In your Orientation week, you'll get a listing of books that the class of 2004 found useful. You'll also be assigned a "buddy" from the second year class who will go over that list and help you decide what is and isn't necessary.

If that wasn't enough, before the end of August, I'll be posting up the guide that we the class of 2003 made up for the current second year class, so you'll get double the information. I co-wrote a very extensive article about books that you should really read before buying anything.

Finally, I've been writing reviews on textbooks in the past few weeks, and those will go on-line as well. Most likely they'll show up on the forums here first, and then on the main web-site at a later date.

There's a whole bunch of books that you don't need (the faculty is a little out of touch with what they recommend you read, and what is physically possible to actually get through), and many of the useful books don't need to be bought immediately because they will only be useful during second term. The entire first term is fairly basic science review, and the books that you'll find most useful here would probably be your Anatomy textbooks, and perhaps a medical dictionary if you're keen. Everything else, such as Clinical Skills, DPAS, Family Practice can wait.

You'll just have to trust me when I say that buying books right now isn't necessary, and is probably in fact detrimental as you don't really know yet what you need to buy (because the "Required" book list is anything but!).

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Ian Wong

Oh yeah,

There will be some stuff at the used book sale, but you should keep in mind that anything that is for sale is being sold because that person doesn't think they will get much use out of it in the future. Buyer beware. :) Most of the good stuff will be sold very rapidly. I myself intend to unload some books there.

As far as equipment goes, your class will elect an equipment rep, and you'll then make a group purchase with Stevens Equipment Co. You'll get a much better group rate than if you went and purchased equipment on your own. Don't buy any equipment now. Whatever you do, DON'T buy a microscope, and you really don't need dissecting equipment either.

Oh yeah, hopefully I'll be posting an article about THAT too! :)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

On this topic of books - at UBC, where are good places to pick up cheap used books? Are there any resources available besides the main bookstore and the one in the village?

TIA

Guest Ian Wong

If you're referring to med student books, then none of the above actually.

Unfortunately, the VGH Health Sciences bookstore pretty much runs a monopoly in this town; if you want to purchase a textbook, and ordering on-line isn't an option, then the VGH bookstore is about the only site.

Since med students are such a small fraction of the UBC population, you'll find that the UBC bookstore doesn't carry any med books (only nursing and pharmacy books), and the used book stores don't either.

What some class-mates and myself did, and others have done before us, is to order online. You can often save some bucks by going through Indigo.ca, although shipping costs can add up, and you have to wait. There were 1 or 2 folks from my class who ordered from the U of Alberta bookstore and had them shipped over; it saves you 7% provincial tax.

The only other way to get used books is to attend our used books sale at the beginning of September (if you haven't heard about it yet, don't worry; you will), and beyond that, seeing if anyone in the years above you wants to sell their stuff. Typically, people will send out a "for sale" email across the med student list-serv. You just have to be alert because those books often sell fast.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived