Premed 101 Forums

Oh My God

Guest UVIC girl

Guest UVIC girl

I am terrified that I've blown my chances for UBC...

I ended up with a B- in Biochemistry at UVIC...

and this is a prereq requirement for UBC. So this will be counted 3 times right? as prereq, as overall, and as last 60 credits. And its a full year course so it counts double.

I have a 90% average, but this looks very bad on the application....I mean, biochem is a med school class, right???

Have I blown my chances? I do have 3 years of volunteer experience, and am active in several clubs at UVIC.

Guest ThUgJaAnMD

Hey,

Please try to relax a little but; all is not lost! Granted, a B- in a core course will hurt a little bit, but I am sure that the medical schools will look much more at the overall person. Moreover, you can also look at med schools outside BC (ie -Ontario) where there is NO preference given to the core courses and all of the courses are treated the same.

Guest Ian Wong

There's nothing you can do about it now, so just relax and concentrate on making sure that the rest of your application is as top-notch as it can be. That means grades in other courses, MCAT's, reference letters, autoiographical statement, research, and extra-currics. Very few applicants ever have a completely unblemished record. :)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

If it makes you feel any better, I would give anything to have your statistics, including the B- right now.

Funny enough I also got a B- in UVIC's dreaded Biochem 300. Only my average is in the 70's, stemming from a disastrous first year at capilano college.

Try not to worry. Just be glad you are not lying under about 50 feet of rubble right now! (Or close to anyone who is) : (

Guest ihatebiochem

Hey, if it makes you feel better, I got a C+ in 3rd year Biochem (UBC) and I still made it in to med.. I absolutely hated that class and how it was taught, which was most definitely reflected in my final mark..

Hey,

I wouldn't worry too much about one B-. I got a C in organic chem I (I got a A+ in the lab and a C in the course - no idea how I did that!?) and I got into UBC on the first shot. A less than stellar performance in a class - even a core requirement - isn't cause for too much alarm (especially with your GPA).

Did you take organic at UBC? The failure rate for that course is getting so high! This year I think it was 25% first term and 40% second term. I only know 4 people who took that class with me and 3 failed! Jeez...so glad its over!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

UT's second year organic chemistry stats don't seem that much different. This summer marked the end of the famed CHM240Y organic chem course; they've now replaced that full-year course with a half-course in first year (which is also considered to be the first half of first year chemistry) and a half course in second year. (I pity the med school applicants in the next couple of years who have to list pre-requisites, that require a full year of each e.g., at UBC).

In any case, this summer's CHM240 course started out with just over 200 people (230 or so) in the class. The first test's average = 60%; second = 55%; third = 60%; final = 56%. The size of the class population writing the final was ~120 students. Ouch.

Kirsteen

Archived