Premed 101 Forums

Verifiers?

Guest UBCAndrew

Guest UBCAndrew

Hi, I was wondering whether UBC really frowns on using friends as verifiers? Because for some of my activities, the "qualified" verifiers (eg. high school sports coaches, etc) might not remember me too well, but my friend (who was a teammate) can definitely remember that i played for this team or that. Also, how far back did most of you go on the extracurricular sheet? I'm thinking high school and on, but should I make the cutoff higher, like gr 10 or so? I know that OMSAS tells you to go back to 16 years old, but UBC doesn't say anything.... Thanks

UBCAndrew,

In my application I used several friends as verifiers - mostly for activities such as running, etc. that I did on my own or informally with friends. For organized activities - such as high school sports teams - I used the coach rather than a teammate. If you're worried that some of your coaches may not remember you, you should give them a call and let them know that you used their name in your application and that someone from UBC "may" phone. (I don't think UBC phoned even one verifier on my list). Remind them which sports you played and for how long, any awards, etc. - this way if UBC does call they have all the info. readily available.

In my extra-curricular section I listed activities from grade 8 onwards. I played most sports, instruments, etc. from grade 8 onwards and so this seemed a natural cutoff. I did, however, try to focus on more recent activities and was somewhat selective about which activities I included from the earlier grades. But if I did something particularly interesting in the earlier grades I included it.

Hope this helps.

Guest Ian Wong

What derelik said. :) I couldn't have said it better. I would just add that I also think the chances of UBC following up on a verifier are remote at best.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest UBCAndrew

Thanks a lot! UBC doesn't contact the verifiers? I think somebody I was talking to (who got in for the 2001/2002 year) told me some of his verifiers WERE contacted later on.... Hmm.. By the way, do any of you know whether OMSAS contacts verifiers?

Guest not rex morgan

UBC contacted at least one of my verifiers. Like they said above, anything official, give your verifier a friendly reminder that you in fact exist. I think it's a great move to contact verifiers actually. I hate it when cheaters get away with the big things in life.

Archived