Premed 101 Forums

UBC Admissions Stats 2001 are out!

Guest Ian Wong

Guest BCgirl

I noticed from Ian's stats that they've been rejecting more and more people that have an A+ average. Do you think it's because those people have mainly numbers going for them and few volunteer/ec activities and are maybe lacking in personality?

Guest Akane200

BCgirl, I think that's an unfair generalization to make of the personalities and qualifications of those with A+ averages as a whole. There could be a variety of reasons including out of province quota limitations, and some people who just mess up their interviews due to other circumstances such as death, illness, stress, etc., and the limitations or biases of the selection process (every system has these). However, the specifics of which would only be pure speculation on our part, would it not?

I believe that people with such high averages would be intelligent enough to have made efforts in volunteering, and other activities. I also refuse to believe that the people who are rejected are plain unsuitable people as your statement would imply. There are only a limited number of spots available as it is, and it must be a tough choice for the admissions committee. That being said, I only hope that if the truly excellent people are rejected, that they would have opportunity to go to another medical school elsewhere.

Guest BCgirl

Sorry Akane, I didn't mean to make a generalization about people with A+ averages AT ALL... it just concerned me that so many people with high marks are getting turned down at UBC. I just hope UBC isn't biased against people with records like that. I in NO way meant to say that all people with A+ averages are like that. And I also didn't mean to say (or imply) that the people who are rejected are "plain unsuitable people". I should have worded my post differenly. Sorry.

Do you think a school can be biased towards people with numbers like that? I guess what I should have said was something like: what must have been the problems with their applications since UBC seems to have been accepting less and less people with A+ averages... but that's all just speculation, like you said.

Sorry about this mess of a post, but I'm in a rush. Feel free to email me if you need me to explain it better.

Sorry :)

Hi BCgirl,

It's true that more A+ students have been rejected than accepted at UBC, but if you look at the numbers, this accepted : rejected ratio for any one GPA bracket is pretty much the same for each GPA bracket (it's always less than 1 by quite a bit). In the applicants with high averages especially, the total # applicants is extremely low, thus even a small statistical deviation from the consensus ratio from the other GPA brackets could be caused by this total sample size being small.

Sorry if this didn't quite make sense, my brain has gone through meltdown (our first exam was today).

Archived