Premed 101 Forums

HELP...Prereqs

Guest dragon

Guest dragon

I am in a bad situation at the moment. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Ian, maybe you would have some insight since you went to UVic. I am a UVic student and I took all the prereqs for med school exactly how the science counsellors told me too. I will be applying to Med school this Sept. My problem is with my 1st year Biology courses and 2nd term English course. I registered for all the courses that were in the UVic premed guide book. I just recently checked the UBC website. My biology course (Biol 150 A/B) doesn't count since it is not valid if taken after Sept 1998 (I took in Sept-Apr 1998) . However the the guide book was published in Feb 1999. Also, my 2nd term English (Engl 116) was also in the guide book; however, it is not a valid prereq according to the UBC website. I know I'll probably need to (re)take the correct prereq, but any advice? Thanks in advance.

Guest Ian Wong

Hmm.

You've got yourself in a bit of a pickle. You may well get nailed on the Bio 150A+B courses, but I don't think that you'll get hit by the Eng 116 requirement.

As far as I know, UBC just wanted to ensure that you'd completed a full year of first-year English. I'm fairly certain that Eng 116 should count towards that. My best suggestion is that you contact the UBC Admissions office as soon as possible. The reason being that if you discover that you need to re-take these courses, that you can register for them sometime this summer, whenever UVic TeleReg opens up.

However, just keep in mind that you may be able to talk the UBC admissions office into okaying your Bio150A+B if you have other upper-level Biology credits, or Biology-like credits on your transcript. This could include stuff like upper-level Biochem or Micro courses, or upper-level Bio courses themselves. Bottom line is that you'll never know if you don't ask.

Best of luck!

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived