Premed 101 Forums

*Getting in after third year

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Joe, UG3

Date:***9/29/2000 7:10 pm*PST

As a third year applying to UBC meds, I understand that the university is very stringent about taking in people with only 3 years undergrad. I am from Ontario, so I can graduate with 3 years in general science.

I was wondering what kind of marks does UBC expect (and accept) from people with 3 years or less of univ? And what other factors come into play and make these 3 years or less applicants more attractive?

Thanks

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jeff S, UG2

Date:***9/30/2000 6:53 am*PST

I remember hearing from somewhere (could be wrong though) that out of province students need 90+ to get in... maybe even a bit higher than that for out of province people trying to get in from third year.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jeff S, UG2

Date:***9/30/2000 2:39 pm*PST

Oh, in that case I guess there's a lot less reason to worry. The average (listed on Ian's page) was just a bit over 82...

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***9/30/2000 3:27 pm*PST

I've answered this question before in the Q&A section of my main page. Essentially, to get in after third year means you have to have everything that the fourth years have, plus a little bit more. :)

This isn't too specific, and I apologize for that, because I can't give you any cut-offs and tell you that you will be accepted if you surpass these thresholds. It just doesn't work that way. Finally, as med students, we don't really talk about the marks and scores that we received as undergrads, as it is implicitly assumed that we are all capable of learning material and are reasonably intelligent.

Of the few students I've asked who got in after third year, I've heard of a 37 and a 38 MCAT, and averages anywhere from 87% to 90+%. Of course, all the other details are in there as well, such as volunteer work, research, and good personal skills.

However, even if you were not to be accepted after third year, I still think it is a good idea to apply, because it gets you familiar with the application process. Any other questions?

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Joe, UG3

Date:***9/30/2000 6:27 pm*PST

I have like low-mid 80's for my prerequisites, but a solid mid 80 for all my marks. From what you said, it seems like 3rd years generally have marks higher than the average acceptance? Is this the case?

Thanks for your help.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest YongQ

I have to caution people going to apply in 3rd year; it has its pluses (as Ian says, it gets you familiar with the application process). HOWEVER, if you are applying in 3rd year, you should be thoroughly convinced you are likely to get in (not necessarily more likely than a fourth year, but a reasonable chance). I say it for this reason: applying to medical school in Canada can totally screw up your life for a year, thus decreasing your chances of getting admitted in 4th year if your marks/extracurricular activities suffered for it. If you are applying to multiple schools (which is the logical thing to do), you will end up having to [1] do loads of research about the application process and your future profession [2] do craploads of essays and autobiographical sketches [3] check web sites like this one to relieve your anxiety (or perhaps augment it for you emotional sadists out there) [4] IF you get interviews, fly across Canada (note the $$$) [5] obsess about your mailbox every stinking day for about 6 months.

As you can see from looking at this site, it takes a considerable number of hours (doing my 4 applications took me two months of reflection). And when you get the call for interview (which may be anytime from 2 days to 1 month before the actual interview), it's hard to concentrate on anything else. My suggestion is to weigh your chances out if you apply in 3rd year; it isn't exactly a win-win thing to do.

Guest Ian Wong

Hi YongQ,

Good point, and perhaps one that I didn't emphasize too well. My idea is slightly different than your's, but I think the message is roughly the same:

"You need to apply in third year with the expectation that you WON'T get accepted, and therefore need to ensure that your fourth year performance stays high."

This puts a huge burden on you, which is that you must apply and do well in school simultaneously. However, you were going to that to do that anyways if you were applying during fourth year. :) The advantage, is that supposing you didn't get in during your third year application, and are now reapplying during fourth year, is that now you've already applied once, and have pre-written copies of all your autobiographical statements, reference letters, etc.

Applying again in fourth year would be a technical piece of cake. This, of course, assumes that despite applying during third year, that you kept up your marks/extra-currics to the point that you again receive interviews for your fourth year application.

Therefore, apply during third year, but realise that maintaining your application/profile/marks is a bigger priority than trying to invest too much time into actually getting in after third year.

Ian

UBC, MS2

Archived