Premed 101 Forums

Meeting with admissions

Guest helmet33

Guest helmet33

I just had my meeting with admissions and can say that it was VERY frustrating. Was told I could not have my raw scores despite being told repeatedly by Shannon that I would be. Any time I tried to ask a direct results question was asked 'why do you want to know that?'. In the end the comments were so vague on what I could improve I went home still wondering why I didn't get in. Oh, where to go from here???????

PS. saw the 2003 applications all nicely laid out ready for packaging! Very colorful this year.

Guest Get your app

One of my interviewers last year told me that our med admissions file should be open to us, in compliance of the Freedom of Information Act. UBC abides by this, but it requires a written application under this Act to obtain your file. I assume that the actual interviewer's names will be censored out so you can't tell who said what.

I'm sorry, I don't have any more info, except that.

Guest BCgirl

Helmet,

That sucks! I was also told by Shannon that I would be able to get my raw scores when I have my advising session... I hope that I will be able to. Did they give you a reason for WHY you couldn't get your raw scores or did they just ask why you wanted them? Did you say that you were told you could get the numbers?

Btw, who are the advising sessions with? I was told that they weren't sure who would be doing mine because they're hiring a new manager of med admissions.

Guest Helmet33

Hi BCgirl,

The meeting is with Dr. Courneya who is the acting associate dean of admissions. I think part of the problem was that shannon(who is the new manager of med admissions) was away and so Dr. Courneya really seemed to be unclear what she could tell me and what she couldn't. When I explained that I was told by Shannon that I would get my raw scores, the reply was that she couldn't speak for what Shannon said. I suspect it was an honest mistake and one that will most likely be corrected by now. I plan on calling in and asking in a few days and I suspect I will get them then.

The problem was that all my questions I had prepared centered around my marks so it was difficult to ask much else. I left feeling very frustrated. Hope it goes better for everyone else!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

Like y'all I'm certainly hoping that Dr. Courneya can shed some raw score light. (I'll definitely be asking about those as well as some particulars re: course requirements.) After all, the one concession that early-rejected applicants receive is the partial list of raw scores for that stage of the application process. So it would be great if we could receive some similar feedback.

As to Dr. Courneya's tone, perhaps it's more associated with the fact that, as I understand it, she's fairly new to the position and perhaps isn't aware of the types of information given out in the past?

Aside from questions surrounding raw scores what other sorts of things are you guys planning on asking which may be useful?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hello again,

Well, I just had my feedback session with Dr. Corneia and I found it extremely helpful. Not only was she a really wonderful and warm person to chat with, but she took the full allotment of time to lay out all the information that was within bounds, e.g., score breakdowns, etc. In addition I was really pleased that she provided some wonderful feedback re: my interviews given that I had no solid clue, until today, as to how I fared.

Overall, I was really impressed with the utility of the call and I sincerely hope that everyone else manages to garner lots of good things too. In my books, even in the wake of the rejection, UBC's MD Admissions Office is definitely up there with respect to customer service. From start to finish this year, I've only had great experiences with all of the people with whom I've been in contact there. If only more of their Canadian counterparts would be so forthcoming...!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest helmet33

Hi Kirsteen,

Glad your meeting went so well. As I suspected, I was one of the first that Dr. Courneya met with and she was very unsure of what she was able to divulge and not. This of course made her somewhat defensive when I would say 'but I was told by shannon that we would get all our raw scores'. Did you pick up your application for next year while you were there as they are ready!! Find it hard to believe the process is going to start all over again!

Hope you have a great summer,

helmet33

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Helmet33,

Can you request a new appointment at all? It may be worth it if you remain in the dark re: your application scores.

My appointment was actually via telephone, so I didn't manage to meet any of the folks face to face. However, I did receive this year's application materials in the post on Monday. Brings back not-so-old memories!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest helmet33

hi Kirsteen,

I have actually requested a copy of my file through the freedom of info act. I felt it would be to my advantage as I will get a copy of everything, minus the reference letters. When it comes to appplying for next year I will have in detail where I have weakness and what I need to change.

Cheers,

helmet33

Guest BigTool

I remember reading a small disclaimer on the reference letter sheet that warned referees that their letters could be read under the stipulations of the Freedom of Information act after admissions were finished. Isn't that true?

Or do you need permission from the referees too?

Guest helmet33

Big Tool,

Don't know more than they told me they would not be available. Fine with me I have already know what they say. Might be a issue for others though!

Helmet33

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RejectoRelaxo

Hello Kirsteen:

Through the feedback that you received, would you mind sharing some of the areas and things that they found could use improvement for you. It would really help get a general idea of what they are evaluating as I have been rejected twice with interview both times. I tried to get feedback on several occasions but got the door slammed in my face so to speak. thanks alot

Helmet did you get your evaluations through the freedom of info act? Does it look like what you suspected ie comments etc.

Thanks all!!

Guest maniac

Helmet 33,

I was wondering if I could talk to you, either by email or phone. I have some questions to ask you and it would be easier to ask you than to post them here. Could you possibly email me at manakmuhr@shaw.ca?

Thanks,

M

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there RejectoRelaxo,

I'm not really sure that my feedback may help you as my rejection situation is not going to be among the norm of rejection situations (see some other posts in the UBC threads for some background). My interview scores were not the problem as my reviewer shared with me that they were both excellent and provided comments from both interviewers as to why. Given that the interview accounts for 50% of the final ranking score, that's probably how I came to receive a conditional acceptance to the MD program. My extracurricular score was totally fine and she commented that I could only gain one point or so in two categories to improve that. My failure lay in some academic results from '92 that were included in my cGPA which brought my academic mark down and in a round-about way, scuttled my chances of looking for some Vancouver real estate at the moment! So there you have it, not too useful methinks.

More to you though... I take it that your academics and extracurriculars are fine for whichever cut-offs you are supposed to meet (in- or out-of-province) given that you were granted two interviews. I'm figuring then, that you may be able to pull your socks up a wee bit and increase your final ranking score by working on your interview skills. Have you had a review session with someone from Admissions as yet? If so, did they mention anything to you re: your interviews? Did you receive your interview ranking with your rejection letter? How are you shaping up in these areas?

Regarding evaluations, basically I think you've really got to be able to shine in as many categories as you can. Your fellow competition are really wild, multi-talented people who should not to be underestimated. Given that the interview is worth so much in the finale there's a big opportunity to really do some homework and put your best foot forward. I'd be happy to share some ideas or brainstorm with you on this if you think it may help. Either post back here, or alternatively, send me a note.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived