Premed 101 Forums

UBC Stats - GPA to Percentage

Guest Philo10

Guest Philo10

On the UBC admissions webpage, they list the stats of the average applicant and the average accepted student. I am wondering how they came up with this percentage. Is it the average percentage of all University courses attempted or is it a ratio of your gpa and the maximum allowable gpa? (ex. 3.74/4.33 = 86%) Furthermore, UBC also looks at your science gpa and your gpa of the last 60 cred. you attempted, how do you think they included this in their statistics?

Guest kaymcee

Regarding how UBC takes a GPA and converts it to a percentage grade, nobody knows. There is lots of speculation, but no hard facts about this. The reason UBC displays percentages is because they use percentage grades rather than grade points for measuring academic achievement.

As for my opinion about how UBC converts GPA to percentage, I believe they look at your GPA course-by-course, and assign you the lowest percentage that applies to that grade point. For example, if you get a 4.0 in a course, UBC will see that as 90%. A 3.9 would be 85%, 3.7=80, 3.3=75, etc. Calculate your percentage in the same way you would your GPA.

You are mistaken about UBC looking at your science GPA. They look at your overall average, pre-requisite average, and the average of your last 60 credits. As for the weighting of this, UBC says they weight academics and non-academics approximately 50-50. I remember there was someone on the boards with insight regarding how much each percentage contributed to your academic score, but I couldn't find the thread.

Guest jgray2

kaymcee's scale feels much too conservative and seems to put non-numerical institutions too much at a disadvantage. that being said, those could very well be the rules of the game for all i know.

a while ago, ucalgary had posted a conversion scale to convert between u of c and ubc. the table went like this:

a+ = 96, a = 87, a- = 82

b+ = 77, b = 73, b- = 69

c+ = 65, c = 61, c- = 57

less conservative, more "fair", but equally as speculative.

Guest rhythm

I asked the UBC admissions people this question at one of their info sessions since I did a year at SFU. What they told me was that letter grades from a non-percentage school would be converted to the middle of the percentage range - that an A- would come out as a 82.5, an A as an 87.5, etc.

I'm not a hard-and-fast source or anything, and if everyone is saying it's a closely guarded secret then maybe I was misinformed but FWIW this is what I was told by the admissions people in July.

Guest kaymcee

rhythm, you were actually told this, straight up? When UBC came to UVic to give a talk about their medical school, the question was outright asked, "How do you convert our UVic GPA into a UBC percentage?" They said to us that it was confidential. To hear that they're now revealing to you their once secretly held conversion method is interesting.

I guess I'll find out what the scale is when they report to me my various averages. (I'm assuming they do eventually.)

Guest ssc427

I know the secret formula (don't ask where I got it):

UBC% = exp(sinh(-i*GPA)*int(alpha*GPA - beta)|-inf..inf*|gamma|*lim sup 1-> inf (delta 5)

,where alpha, beta, gamma and delta are all constants which vary depending on age, favorite colour and where you did your undergrad (basically designed to weigh UVic students less than the rest of the world).

Guest kellyl20

A friend told by admissions that the registrar does this and is school dependent; yes, different schools get different conversions.

(Maybe that is why it is confidential)

Guest rhythm

kaymcee, yeah, I was straight-up told this in response to the same question (just substitute SFU for UVIC) in one of those large-group info sessions. I have no idea why they would tell some people it was confidential because I certainly didn't have to drag it out of them or anything. Maybe someone answered before they thought? stranger things have happened after all :)

Guest docbil

"""UBC% = exp(sinh(-i*GPA)*int(alpha*GPA - beta)|-inf..inf*|gamma|*lim sup 1-> inf (delta 5)

,where alpha, beta, gamma and delta are all constants which vary depending on age, favorite colour and where you did your undergrad (basically designed to weigh UVic students less than the rest of the world).""""

I tried it but my favorite colour was not accepted!!!

When I changed it to blue it worked great. But Pink did not work. IS that a sign that they don't like Mr.Pink.

PS. I don't know why it is so important to find out the secret for UVic or SFU evaluation. You can't do anything about it. An A is an A, a B is a B, and in my case a D is still a D. It won't change much. Since the evalutation is based on different things (not just cGPA) some of you guys have to take it easy and see what happens.

Archived