Premed 101 Forums

GPA question

Guest chantella28

Guest chantella28

For most med schools, i've seen that a minimum GPA of 3.0 on the 4.0 scale is needed... I've tried googling this to see what exactly that is equal to percentage wise, but every site gives me a different answer... does anyone know what a 3.0 means to NOSM in percentage?

Guest kaymcee

Welcome to the forums! I don't usually reply (or even browse) in this sub-forum, but I can definitely answer your question.

NOSM, like all the Ontario schools, uses a common 4-point system prepared by OMSAS. A 3.0/4.0 is equivalent to a B average, which is between 70 and 75%.

However, if you attend a school that assigns percentage grades, your GPA isn't calculated by converting your overall average to a numerical GPA out of 4. You must convert every percentage grade to a grade-point for every course you've taken. There is a .pdf file located here that tells you what each percentage grade is equivalent to.

• 5 months later...
Guest Raven526

I understand how NOSM calculates my WGPA. My problem is I did my 4 yr undergrad in 9 semesters and the last 3 semesters I took 4 courses vs. 5. Do I calculate my WGPA as if my last 2 semesters (8 & 9) were my last year and go backwards from there.

Anyone? I'd appreciate it.

Raven

Guest Anna

Hi Raven,

Yours is a special situation. To be safe, you may want to contact the admissions office at NOSM to clarify how they would calculate your wGPA.

Anna :)

Guest Kidha

Most likely you will calculate only the semesters that are in a given year of study. (sept - april). Unless you are in a school with trimesters...then i don'tknwo what happens

Archived