Premed 101 Forums

Travel to Thunder Bay

Guest 24medgirl

Guest 24medgirl

I am probably putting the horse before the cart here but I have been thinking about if I get an interview to NOSM and the interview is in Thunder Bay, what is the best way of travelling there from south of Ottawa?

It is possible that this may not even be a problem if the interviews are hosted in Sudbury as the train goes there and it is not as far to drive (I think about 5 hours from where I live). I've heard TBay is a 17 hour drive from where I live so driving there is out as I would need to take the car from my partner who needs to commute to work. The train doesn't go there and there are flights there but they are upwards of $500 from Ottawa (which I think is a little steep considering I fly to Nova Scotia for $300). This also may seem like a silly question, but not being from Ontario (only lived here 3 years), I just don't know.

Furthmore, I actually think it would be great to visit TBay for a weekend or so because I would LOVE to live there. If I got in to NOSM I'd be thrilled to live in TBay, just going there for a day or two seems like it would be tricky.

Any helpful responses would be appreciated! :)

Thanks!

medgirl

Flights are crazy expensive. Last year I dropped 1400 almost to fly out for my interview from BC. Yikes! To me the $500 seems like a drop in the bucket...lol...its all relative. I would do a road trip (Rent a car). It could be a fun drive up with a couple of friends or something.

the drive from southern Ont is awesome...once you get past Parry Sound. The North shore of Huron/Georgian Bay is spectacular, as is the same for Superior....in the summer. For interview time, swallow the cost and fly! Between Westjet and Air Canada, the prices aren't too bad actually. Even on relatively short notice

K

Guest 24medgirl

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

I agree, I would love to do the drive. I'm sure it's beautiful, but I guess I will be flying. I will just make sure to keep some extra money around for that flight.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Axolotl

Medgirl,

I'm sure that your interview will be in Sudbury (if that is what you indicate as a preference). If you are looking to come up to Thunder Bay, let me know and I'm sure I can get a few west campus students to show you around!

If you are south of Ottawa, I would definitely look into westjet flights leaving either Toronto or Ottawa. Check often because you never know when there will be a seat sale.

Guest 24medgirl

Thanks Ax. Much appreciated. Now all I need is to get my interview invite and I'm all set! ;)

I do live south of Ottawa so if I opt for my interview to be in TBay, I think I'll fly - $$$, but worth it I think.

Ciao for now.

Thanks again,

T.

Archived