Premed 101 Forums

Need HONEST Opinion

Guest LobusDexter

Guest LobusDexter

I'm wondering if someone could please give me a little advice here. I was a MUN student for several years, but I was in and out of programs, left now and then to work, and finally finished for good as a third-year undeclared student! There were some good excuses for the unsettled behaviour, but a few bad ones as well. My grades weren't anything to be desired! There were 2 unsuccessful courses, a few drops, and the rest ranged from low C's to one or two A's. I have a poor GPA there of 2.48.

However, I have since gone on to have an excellent career as a pilot and an officer with the Canadian Forces, am completing a BSc (Human Sciences) at another school (and will graduate there with a 4.0 GPA), and I hope to complete a Master's if time permits - all while I hold this position in the Forces. I volunteer with the Salvation Army helping those less fortunate, and am also considering a trip with Missionary Aviation Fellowship who offers aid to the third world. Outside all of this, I enjoy a lot of extracurricular activities - sports, travel, hobbies, music, and more (but this is already long enough!).

So my questions are: With my history @ MUN, do I have any possible chance on earth of ever entering medical school, MUN or elsewhere? Would it help if I applied as a student sponsored by the CF? And what, if anything, can I do to better prepare myself for applying?

I am very passionate about becoming a doctor, and helping those in need - I'll do what I can! Your opinions are greatly appreciated. And please, don't worry about "dashing my dream"! If in your opinion there's no chance of me getting in, please let me know.

Thank you.

Guest clinicalchief

Hello LD:

It seems to me that if you can effectively convey yourself to the admissions committee when you apply, you will have just as much as a shot at getting in as anybody.

Grades: MUN definitely appreciates improvement in grades – I am an example of that. Although I don’t have any unsuccessful or dropped course, I had plenty of B’s and C’s in my first year and a half with an overall average of about 70%. I then had straight A’s every semester for the last 2.5 years of my degree and I got accepted at MUN my first time applying (right out of undergrad). Are you doing an honors program? Although the helpfulness of an Hons degree is arguable, I believe it does give the AdCom a better idea that you can handle a tough workload – especially if you have a rough couple of years behind you. The fact that you started from scratch and are doing well is excellent; it shows commitment and motivation you have towards obtaining your goals. Although MUN considers grades from all post-sec courses you have taken, your most recent work is obviously a better portrait of what you are really capable of. You didn’t mention the MCAT, these scores are also taken into consideration, and a solid score will definitely do you good when you apply. There are no MCAT cut-offs per-se at MUN, but you need a ~decent score to get an interview.

EC’s/Work: Obviously you have a lot of life-experience which will make you stand out. This will be especially important at the interview. The interview can make you or break you at MUN, being able to talk about your experiences and how you have matured as a person is easy for a person who has been out in the world for a while. From what I can tell, you probably have more work experience than many applicants.

So to answer your first question; yes, I think you definitely have a chance at getting into medical school at MUN (especially as a NF resident..?), provided you meet the admission requirements, of course. Now, about applying to other Canadian medical schools, this depends on a few things. Are you a NF resident? If so, you have better chances at MUN than other schools. Most schools give preference to in-province applicants (which exceptions of course, eg U of T). Also, OOP applicants usually need to meet high GPA/MCAT cutoffs (ie 30+) to be considered at most schools. As well, some schools look at for example your most recent two years, or your two best years etc, you’d have to check the requirements at the particular schools you are interested in.

As far as I know, MUN doesn’t have a special policy setup for applicants sponsored by the CF, not sure about any other schools.

The only additional thing I can think of that might help you out (besides strong references of course) are research experience (although surely not required), and medically-related or hospital experience to show that you have an idea of what you are getting into.

You seem like a well-rounded person, which are the kind of folks that MUN admissions are looking for. Make sure you sell yourself well, both on your application and at your interview.

Any more questions just post!

Sorry for the long post!

All the best,

cc

Guest LobusDexter

Hey CC,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad that. Yes I am a NF resident, although with my job I live everywhere! But MUN would be my main choice in a school, mainly because I believe it's a great school, but I also want to come home! However, it's going to be a few years before I can apply - I am still completing my BSc, and I have some time remaining to my CF contract. However, at least this information gives me hope, and something to work toward. Thanks again, and all the best to you and your studies @ med school.

LD

LD - dude, you are far more competitive than alot of people who got in (myself included). Crank out good marks on that honours program, apply through the military, keep up the volunteering and you'll be competitive at other schools in the out of province categories, let alone your MUN in province category. (Med schools are amazingly understanding when it comes to "turning it around" academically, as long as you prove you can keep up your improved behaviour over the long term and don't mind talking about how you've matured)

PS - these posts will probably be lost, so if you have more questions you might want to move them to the temporary MUN board.

Guest LobusDexter

Thanks guys, that's the kind of encouragement I was hoping to get in here. Knowing I have a chance helps keep me directed and motivated. Much appreciated.

LD

Archived